Is AIRBNB profitable for you?

Eileen462
Level 10
San Bernardino, CA

Is AIRBNB profitable for you?

Hello Hosts!  Is your AIRBNB making as much money for you as a regular rental would be?  Why did you choose this avenue as opposed to a long term property rental?  Thanks for your replies and likes!~ Eileen

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Eileen462 Our Airbnb is only probably 20-30% more profitable than long term rentals but:

1) We don't push it - We could make far more money if we wanted to work harder.

2) In the UK there are big tax advantages in short term rentals

3) In the UK the rules on tenancies are becoming more and more biased to the tenant. If they don't pay it can take many months to get rid of them. If we don't like a guest they are gone in days.

So, in summary, STR gives us a better financial outcome with fewer issues than tenancies might cause.

Debbie1192
Level 4
McKinney, TX

I've only been hosting for two months (today!) but so far it has been profitable. We haven't recouped our investment yet (and only considering furniture, fixtures and other contents that we needed to make it nice for guests) but that will come. I would have only made about $2400 in rent by now and have almost tripled that in two months on AirBnB. I expect a "dry spell" for a few months now since we are in the Buffalo, NY, area and who wants to go there in the winter (ha ha) but it will pick up in the Spring and I've already got bookings for Spring and next summer. 

I did really weigh going AirBnB versus full-time rental but the ability to block dates when family visits overpowered the guaranteed monthly income. 

@Debbie1192  Thats fantastic Debbie!  I am certain your area has a bigger demand for places to stay as well than the average.  So glad to hear you are succeeding!  Smiles,  Eileen