Last minute and long term rental requests UK

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

Last minute and long term rental requests UK

Hello my fellow hosts,

I am a host in the UK and I have three cottages in the Cotswolds. They are set in rural locations near to a small market town. I have been affected, like all of us, by the current Coronavirus crisis and I have had numerous cancellations for the next three months. Those cancellations via Airbnb have been refunded in full, we all know how we feel about that, but that is not what I am on here to discuss.

I understood the reason for the cancellations, but now there has been a new development that I am somewhat concerned about. I have had a number of requests for very last minute bookings and long term stay at my properties. The last request was asking to stay at least 38 days and these guests also ask for a discount. I am concerned about these requests as in this current climate would it not be more sensible to stay in a location where you are familiar and in the current financial upset, not incur the significant costs of staying at a holiday let?

Now, I know I sound like a very anxious and suspicious person, but I am hoping that you guys out there can give me some reassurance or tell me whether there is some kind of fraud going on that I need to know about. What are the pitfalls? Most of these bookings have come in last minute or are wanting almost immediate stays.

I would also like to hear from other cottage owners (jn rural UK) if you have had similar requests...what are your thoughts on this phenomenon?

Thanks in advance guys

xx

5 Replies 5
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Dear Alexandra, 

I know that our laws aren't identical but please look into what ever your local laws are regarding tenants, not short term guests. If you do a longer term rental are you going to have to go thru an eviction process to get the person out if they turn out to be toxic? In the U.S. landlords ask for references, credit reports and proof of income before handing over the keys to tenants. Paying guests who have violated their contract can be removed immediately, tenants who are behind on their rent must go thru a lengthy eviction process before being removed. Vetting potential guests' actual background is not a ABB thing so make sure you understand what you might be getting into if you do a longer term rental via ABB. A property manager in the area might be a better way, I'd advise doing some research to find out what the laws and your options are,

best of luck

Sally

Thank you @Sally221  I really appreciate your views and I think you are absolutely correct.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alexandra199 

If your properties are Furnished Holiday Lets as per the UK tax rules then you cannot let them for more than 30 days (might be 29 days) at a time. I am sure if the potential guests are legitimate then the difference between 38 days and 30 will not be a problem.

I imagine a discount would be reasonable given that the people are presumably trying to escape a big city but can't afford 'holiday' prices.

I would ask them some questions and CERTAINLY do it through Airbnb to ensure you can remove them at the end of the 30 days.

hope this helps

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@@Alexandra199 

Some more positive ideas:

Many people (daughter included) are working from home during this crisis. If the cottages have good internet connections then the money/location might not be a problem

Imagine you lived in a small flat in central London with a young family off school. If you job allows then a place in the country would be idyllic.

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

I have read the information on the news that people are doing exactly that in an effort to escape the city. I have had some serious concerns that I do not want to be encouraging this. As a  result, I have decided to close my business for 6 weeks. I feel that morally i have an obligation to protect the local residents and sadly it is clear that people are not taking the advice regarding self isolation and social distancing seriously. Thank you for your response but I think that I have moved on from these difficulties now and morals have taken over!x