Legal Requirements for Air Bnb Rental in the United Kingdom

Legal Requirements for Air Bnb Rental in the United Kingdom

It is a Legal Requirement for all short term lets in the United Kingdom to have an annual gas safety test that passes , also it is required that you have an Electrical Installation Condition Report every 5 years this has been since July 2021 . It also a requirement since 1st of October 2023 to have a fire risk assessment inside your rental accommodation and a 2nd fire risk assessment for the communal area aswell if your property is an apartment . All of these tests are a criminal offence if you dont have passed certificates and you will end up in a Magistrates or crown court if you do not comply with the law . 

Other Annual Electrical testing is Fire/smoke alarm tests , Emergency Lighting Tests and Portable appliance testrs all which also must have passed certificates

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

23 Replies 23
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mike3278 Advertising is not allowed on the Community Centre.

Also you are wrong in saying  'It is a Legal Requirement for all short term lets in the United Kingdom to have an annual gas safety test that passes'   Our Airbnb apartments do not need and hence do not have gas safety certificates.

Then you are breaking the law 

@Mike3278 Trust me - I am not. I do find it bizarre that you think I am and post incorrect advice/accusations. 
Just to help you out a little bit: Like many many hosts there is not a gas main within a mile of our property and we do not have bottled or tanks of gas. Now do you really think I need a gas safety certificate?????

**, if you have no gas it applies to those who have gas . **

**[Content edited in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Mike3278 Ah but that is not what you said.

Also your assertion that smoke alarms need testing yearly is wrong. According to the guidance on gov.uk they need to be tested between each guest so for most hosts this is daily/weekly.

If you are going to advertise (by supplying your phone number) then at least get the information correct.

Wrong again thats a test you have to make you also need an Electrician to test the detectors and circuit once a year with a special machinre that reads that they are functional and go off in time , it is obvious you dont have a certificate 

@Mike3278 strange that there is nothing like this in the government guidance. I guess I will just use this in my defence if I am ever taken to court.

Yes Use Neglect , you will find judges dont listen to that its your jonb to know , oh dear

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why did you join our community for hosts and guests (you are neither) and immediately start abusing a long term credible member. @Mike3278 

It's arrogant of you to assume we are not aware of fire regulations, annual boiler checks and other safety legislation we need to comply with in the UK forbore STRs

It appears you joined it purely to try and promote your business which is seen as spamming and against the T&C of this community - hence your personal contact details being removed.

Lets get something straight 90% of Property Owners i deal with fail all testing and just want to argue the law does not apply to them , well here is news for you it does apply to you and after Grenfell yo are now facing dealing with the courts directly , so it is ake up time and i am on here to help you see that . 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you're not (and if you were you being abusive to hosts is clearly going the wrong way about it) 

you clearly posted here with your contact details to try and secure work. 

We have all the work we need , advising those like you who havent got a clue about procedures , and just want to argue because you dont want to spend any money on the safety procedures that you are obligated to carry out by law . Yawn Yawn

@Mike3278 Please stop with the unfounded observations. We are in compliance with our risk assessment  so all is fine here (and yes it did cost a lot of money for locks, smoke alarms etc.

It would have been identifid in your Fire Risk Assessment obviously you dont have one of those either