Long-term Renter laws in Portland, OR

Answered!
Adinah1
Level 1
Portland, OR

Long-term Renter laws in Portland, OR

Here in Portland, anyone renting a place for over 28 days is considered a long-term tenant, with laws allowing them to stay in the home and not be asked to leave without a very substantial re-location fee from the landlord. Can we add a waiver or something they must sign to protect us from them exercising rights as a long-term tenant? Otherwise, are there any other ideas on what we can do? 

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Adinah1   If you are permitted to rent for short term, do so, limiting the length of stays to under 28 days.

If you are not permitted to rent for short term, and must rent for 30 days or so, speak to an attorney about a rental agreement that would be signed by an AirBnB long term guest and would protect you from the changeover to a tenancy.  

There is no place on AirBnB to provide a potential guest with a rental agreement, let alone read and sign one, so you will have to figure out how to have this process completed before the guest occupies the premises. 

I send the guest my rental agreement upon booking.  I have to ask for the guest email address as AirBnB has removed the ability to email a guest via the platform, so this communication takes place OFF of AirBnB's messaging.  The language of our state's Vacation Rental Law says that the payment of the rental fee (to me or AirBnB) constitutes agreement on the part of the guest with the rental contract.  My attorney advised me to keep a record of the business account emails where I send the contract AND especially the return emails from the guest advising that they are in receipt of the agreement.  When a guest does not like the rental agreement, I advise them to cancel their booking immediately.  

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Adinah1   If you are permitted to rent for short term, do so, limiting the length of stays to under 28 days.

If you are not permitted to rent for short term, and must rent for 30 days or so, speak to an attorney about a rental agreement that would be signed by an AirBnB long term guest and would protect you from the changeover to a tenancy.  

There is no place on AirBnB to provide a potential guest with a rental agreement, let alone read and sign one, so you will have to figure out how to have this process completed before the guest occupies the premises. 

I send the guest my rental agreement upon booking.  I have to ask for the guest email address as AirBnB has removed the ability to email a guest via the platform, so this communication takes place OFF of AirBnB's messaging.  The language of our state's Vacation Rental Law says that the payment of the rental fee (to me or AirBnB) constitutes agreement on the part of the guest with the rental contract.  My attorney advised me to keep a record of the business account emails where I send the contract AND especially the return emails from the guest advising that they are in receipt of the agreement.  When a guest does not like the rental agreement, I advise them to cancel their booking immediately.