Marijuana Smoking in Rentals

Mark-And-Debbie2
Level 1
Kalamazoo, MI

Marijuana Smoking in Rentals

We are having problems with renters breaking our rental agreement and smoking marijuana in our rental. I found a company on the internet that makes a marijuana/cigarette smoke detector that can notify an owner in real time using wifi. However, I am told this company only sells a minimum quantity of 50 units. So they serve big markets like hotels, etc. They also require a monthly subscription to their monitoring service.

Does anyone know of a company that makes a device that can notify an owner in real time of marijuana smoking in their rental that can be purchased in small quantities, preferably without a subscription required?

With marijuana laws being rewritten in many states this is becoming a bigger problem. It would be great if AirBnB could partner with a company to make these units more easily available to owners in smaller quantities. I would improve the guest experience and be a win for the owner and AirBnB and for the manufacturer.

2 Replies 2
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Mark-And-Debbie2 

Possibly you could copy hotel rhetoric about the dire consequences of violating smoking rules, post a couple of signs, and install some conventional tamper resistant smoke detectors.

You could suggest that you will be notified immediately if they alarm, which would be more or less true if you tell guests that they must message you if the alarms go off.

I have found it most effective to provide a comfortable smoking area outside.

Kendra114
Level 9
Galveston, TX

It’s a great idea for AirBnb AND they could probably make money off of it!

You are correct: it is a problem that needs to be addressed. We are currently experiencing it! If anyone has tips to get out MJ odor it would be much appreciated.