Merging Rooms

Bobbee0
Level 2
Williamsburg, VA

Merging Rooms

I currently have two bedrooms in my house  listed separately.  This means when full, he bathroom has to be shared. I think this might be hurting me.  So I am considering putting both bedrooms with the bath all listed as one.

Does anyone have experience with this? 

8 Replies 8
Dave1010
Level 1
Castlegar, Canada

I was doing that, only one room was air Bnb the other was a regular renter. The problem i had was cleanliness reviews. I was not able to get enough 5 stars to achieve  Superhost. I didn’t charge much (21$ a night)  so I though that would reflect the cleanliness. But ppl still couldn’t put 5 stars for cleanliness all the time. I did get a few though it was a great deal and gave 5 stars all around. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @Bobbee0   I also have two bedrooms with a shared bathroom.  The difference is that I do not allow two different parties to separately book both bedrooms.  That is, there is a primary bedroom and then for some parties, the secondary bedroom can be booked as well.  Therefore, the bathroom is considered private  and not shared.  You can continue with your two listings and then have a third listing in which both rooms are booked.  You would need to sync the calendars so the double room listing is not available if anyone books either room.  Then your double room listing would allow more people or parties that don't want to share a room and a private bathroom.  That will increase the type of parties you can appeal to.   Just a thought.

I wish you could look at my listing, but you will not be able to see it i'm afraid as it is currently snoozed due to local regulations that will not allow share home bookings due to covid.

I like the idea of listing a third choice.  If someone books that choice, it should block both rooms.  Correct?

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Hi @Bobbee0 

I let  3 rooms in my own home with only  one bathroom, which I use as well!

I let to lodgers who stay 1-4 nights a week, whilst working away from home, and also to Airbnb guests when rooms have no lodgers, or the lodgers are back home.

When I have 3 lodgers in it works surprisingly well; they are folk who've been working long hours, with a long drive too on Day  1, and they stay in their rooms, chill & never see the others. Bathroom has never been an issue!

Hosting an Airbnb couple alongside one  or two lodgers  has always worked out. Tho' it requires guests who keep the bathroom clean!!

When there are no lodgers around, if 2 couples book on Airbnb I block the 3rd room, to avoid overcrowding. If 1 single & 1 couple are booked, I sometimes block the 3rd room and sometimes leave it available for Airbnb, depending on who is already booked.... If it includes an older couple, I think I might be pushing my luck to introduce a 4th & possibly 5th guest! If a young couple with a busy itinerary just using my place to crash, I might allow the 3rd room to be booked. Especially in high season when everywhere else is booked or expensive.

My listing descriptions make it clear that there might be lodgers or other Airbnb guests around. I think that is the key to guests NOT complaining! And my prices are cheap, mainly because of the shared bathroom.

I'm in the UK. I have a theory that British & European  guests are more likely to find my arrangements  acceptable than Americans/Australians who are used to bigger houses with more space & facilities....

One advantage of letting rooms to people who don't know each other, is that all my guests have been quiet and respectful of the others (and me.) Only once did it happen that 2 rooms were booked at the same time for a group of 4 (2 couples, Lithuanian students.) They were my noisiest guests ever! Gathered together in 1 room, drinking, chatting & laughing! I was mildly alarmed at where it might lead, but they just about kept the lid on it, & were charming and polite at breakfast the next day, followed by 2 lovely reviews! 

A lady down the road does what you're proposing.... only lets second room to the guests in the first, and as a result tends to host families when letting both rooms. (Twin beds in 2nd room.)

I live in Williamsburg, Virginia, USA.  I'm likely to get mostly tourists.  This coming weekend I have both rooms booked with couples.  Thats four people and one bathroom.  Ugh!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bobbee0  I only host one private room and the guest has their own bathroom, they don't share that with me.

But I've had several guests, particularly those who are middle aged and over, tell me that they enjoy home stay experiences, but a private bathroom is key for them when looking for a place. So it definitely is a factor for many guests.

Even if the host is really on top of keeping a common bathroom clean, many people are just squeamish about sharing such a personal space.

Bobbee0
Level 2
Williamsburg, VA

How do i UNLIST?  I listed before figuring out calendars.  Now its active and I cant unlist it!

Bobbee0
Level 2
Williamsburg, VA

On the Listing status page, click on Change Status and choose Snoozed from the dropdown menu
Enter the start and end dates, then click Save

There is no Change Status