Methods of Communication

Methods of Communication

I am not a host, but a friend of mine is interested in becoming a host and has asked me to help him get started.

His first question is about communicating with renters. As a renter I know ABnB recommends communicating via their platform and I'm sure some communication via their platform is required but here's the question:

My friend, who has vision problems, is wondering if he would be allowed to use voice communication with the customer and if so, in your experience how much can be handled via voice as opposed to text / email?

6 Replies 6
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Voice communications by its nature would facilitate a direct bypass-Airbnb opportunity, as does photos would if they show certain information and that is why Airbnb doesn't allow them in their message system. So interesting question (and dilemma).

@Fred13 FYI I recently sent a photo to a guest over the Airbnb message system so it does seem to be allowed.

I have tried many times, as have guests, always bumped. Cool, if now allowed great, it comes in very handy.

@Fred13 It was a picture of a key we found after their stay. Just click on the image icon next to where you would type a message.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alan1544 Airbnb is trying to achieve 2 things.

1) protecting themselves from guests/hosts dealing off platform and

2) protecting the guests/hosts by having a record of what has happened if something goes wrong.

Once a booking has been made you can communicate verbally but it would lose some protection.

Thank you for your answer.