Modify Yale Access welcome message to guests

Answered!
Kyler40
Level 5
Ann Arbor, MI

Modify Yale Access welcome message to guests

We are new hosts and are using the Yale smart lock with Yale Access and Airbnb integration. Guests guests are now automatically supplied with a unique access code to the lock immediately when confirming a reservation — they can also the Yale/August app for Bluetooth access to the lock. An automated message is sent within the Airbnb message system providing their unique code and explaining the options for accessing the Airbnb lock. Once set up, the functionality is very nice! I’m very impressed! However, I’d like to modify the default message that goes out — it is quite long.

Is it possible to modify the automated message that is sent out about the Yale lock integration and instructions to guests?

1 Best Answer
Adam1623
Level 3
Chicago, IL

MY SOLUTION

So I just spent $1,000 on these locks after hearing the exciting news that they integrated with Airbnb. After setting the first one up I quickly realized how it wasn't going to work well with guests and the obnoxious automated message. Thankfully I do use Guesty to manage my listings. Although I was trying to get away from using a channel manager due to the extra costs, I found that Guesty does exactly what you all are looking for with the automated code messaging. You're able to send messages from Guesty, through Airbnb and customize the timing and message itself. Whew! Guesty will use either the guests last 4 of their phone #, or check in/out dates whichever you set it to. When creating the message, just use the tag (Guest Phone Number - Last 4). I just set this up so as of now I can't confirm how well it works, but Guesty does a very good job with it's messaging platform, so we should be ok.

So for now I'll be keeping the channel manager just for the codes (about $35/mo just for this), but I think it's going to be worth it in order to avoid guest confusion and negative reviews. We still absolutely need Yale and Airbnb to fix this because we shouldn't need to use a separate channel manager just to send codes when there's already an integration set up.

Good luck all!

Adam

View Best Answer in original post

76 Replies 76
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kyler40

Did you find out whether that was possible or not in the end?

If not, I believe @Drew2062 @Sami459 @Amanda1868 and @Joel71, amongst others, has mentioned in the past using Yale locks as well. They might have some tips for you?

Let us know how you get on please 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hillary96
Level 2
Bremerton, WA

I called the Yale Access tech support number, and they told me that they do not support editing the message right now. 

Kyler40
Level 5
Ann Arbor, MI

Thanks for the updates to this post. I’m not surprised this is not available, but it would be a nice option to have. Or, maybe they could offer a choice among a few stock options. I’d like an option of simply providing a key code without all the additional information about downloading apps. So far, none of my guests have used the app anyway — but they like the custom key code. Thanks! 

Elias192
Level 1
Solna, Sweden

Hi, I totally agree with you. We just set up the integration and was surprised on how long and bad the message was. It would be nice to be able to adjust it. Best would be to get a short code to include in messages of your choice. Second best would be to be able to adjust the yale message, both content and timing. Hoping for an update! 

Completely agree - the message is very cumbersome. I'm assuming they want more users downloading their application as a data harvesting/user generation tactic. At this point, I feel like I need to send follow-up messages to my guests to apologize for the automated word vomit and to let them know they don't need an app.

Thank you for the information. This is a bit off topic but sounds like knowledgeable group with the lock. I've reached out to both Yale and Airbnb with these questions and am not able to get an answer so far.

I just installed the Yale lock this week. Will my existing guest reservations receive the code or only new bookings since installation? I'm not sure if I need to keep manually setting up codes. Also, am I able to designate the length of the code they send or make it the last 4 of their phone number? Or it can only be completely random? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you! : )

Good questions. It will only apply to new bookings. You will see the automated message to new guests in the messaging function. 

As far as I’m aware, there is no way to modify the code parameters. I think it is always a random 5-digit code. But I’d love to see those options made available. 

Only new bookings will get the codes 

Graeme21
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi Guys - I'm also looking for an answer to this query ("Can the automated email that is sent to guests from Yale via airbnb be modified?")

I'm in the UK and apart from the message itself being way too long and cumbersome - the code provided has to have an Asterix at the end of it - which isn't included in the auto-email, causing further confusion and forcing me to send an updated email anyway (completely defeating the purpose). 

I have logged a call with Yale about this issue today - the call handler was not sure of the answer - i suspect it will be a flat 'no', but they need to get ahead of this as it's clearly causing more issues than anything else.

I agree, the message is way too long and cumbersome. Apart from that, it's factually wrong in its directions (for our apartment) - the directions given does simply not apply for all types of doors. We always have to manually send out an extra email where we apologize for the auto generated message from Yale and tell the tenant to disregard it. I'm not sure you mean with "has to have an asterix at the end of it"? 

Graeme21
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

The asterisk (*) is just that symbol that needs added after the code. Possibly just for UK versions. You might be ok on that front!

Mackenzie91
Level 2
Santa Barbara, CA

Plus One! @Airbnb , please see if you can turn the screws a bit on Yale to make this happen. This is a magical integration. But lacks the simplest adjustment to make it perfect. Without editing the message, I’m going to hesitate to recommend this setup to future hosts. 

Agree 100%! @Airbnb  please do what you can here. Thanks. 

@Airbnb Now that I've learned a bit more, a Yale lock code shortcode is the way to go. I've now completely turned the integration off until you make some changes here. It's easier to manually create and send the codes than to deal with this confusing, poorly timed auto-message from Yale.