Monitoring VAT threshold and Total Paid by guest

Stuart465
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Monitoring VAT threshold and Total Paid by guest

Dear Airbnb Pro.

I have an SA building close to the UK VAT threshold eg £90,000.  

Does anyone know if HMRC require service fees paid by the guest to Airbnb to be logged as revenue?  If so, I cannot find a Reporting field anywhere in the website that includes the Total Amount paid by the guest.  Has anyone come across this, or perhaps found a workaround by dropping in a simple formula eg +14.5% etc.  

Grateful for any suggestions on the enclosed.

Regards

Stuart.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stuart465 The threshold for the current tax year is still £85,000. I believe the revenue you should declare is the Gross revenue (ie what the guest pays) and then the Airbnb commission is an allowable expense against tax (but not VATthreshold).

If you go to insights and then earnings and click around a bit there is an ability to create a report in a spreadsheet format that has fields such as gross payments, fees etc. See if you can find this report -We use simplified pricing so we have the gross revenue available to us in this report but I think you will as well.

As an aside if you are close to the VAT limit I would seriously consider shutting down for a month when your costs are high. Taking about 15% from your revenues (20%-input VAT) is likely to be worse than just reducing revenues and having a holiday!

Thank you for the detailed reply.  I would be keen to keep the query open to other responses.

Perhaps it's the pricing structure we use, you mentioned 'simplified pricing', but there are no export fields that cover the total amount paid by the guest.

I have opened a query with technical support perhaps they can shed some light.

And I agree that closing the doors is probably the easiest solution and yes, the vat is £85,000 (it goes up to £90,000 tomorrow).

Thanks again.

Stuart.