NYC Hosting, single family house.

NYC Hosting, single family house.

I'm a host in Brooklyn and can not figure out the new rules.  Airbnb, is as usual, useless when it comes to getting questions answered.  Does anyone have any idea if we can continue to rent out an entire brownstone/townhouse for less than 30 days? I have heard conflicting reports.  Thank you.

9 Replies 9
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

I live in Maine and this hasn't happened to us, thank goodness! Can you block out dates making it only available to book a week at a time? for instance: block out Monday and Sunday to guest can only book Tuesday - Saturday. Do this every week so it will let guests book week long stays... hopefully this works??

Good Luck!

Did you ever get any clarity or resolution?  I am in a similar situation in Brooklyn. Two family house.  Per the multiple dwelling law, one and two family houses are not "multiple dwellings".  So, so far as I can tell, short term hosting is not explicitly illegal, its also not explicitly legal.  

@Mathew31  I spoke with a person in the mayor’s office and was given a fairly detailed answer. Basically, my understanding is that you can not legally rent on a short term basis if you own a two family house. I also asked about the multiple dwelling, and he seemed to think the law was clear. (I spoke to a lawyer who thought it was ambiguous.) I got the impression that they wouldn’t waste their time going after people renting less than a handful of weeks. Nonetheless if they do receive a complaint, they will follow up. Any violation is subject to fines up to $10,000. It’s risky. I do get the impression that these laws are full of holes, but I’m not a lawyer. We would need to organize but it’s  impossible to get help from Airbnb. Just try talking to someone who knows anything—impossible. 

Thanks for posting this update. I'm pretty confused trying to figure this out too. Can't even find many lawyers claiming to know the right answer. $10,000 is scary, but from my research, it seems like I can rent out a private room in the basement of my townhouse which has its own bathroom and own entrance, as long as I'm still living in the house while I rent it. I think I'll list as a "Private room", not an "Entire place", to avoid data sharing.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If it has its own entrance and bathroom how is it a private room in your home @Jake363 ? 

Do you share your living room/dining space and other communal areas with this guest?

Hi- Why is a two family rental not legal, when multiple dwellings are three units or more?

thanks

Miriam-Perez0
Level 1
New York, NY

Hi, 

Did anyone ever get clarity on the current law for short-term rentals for single family properties?  I called Customer Service and they weren't helpful at all.  I am trying to research it and what I'm finding seems ambiguous. Nothing seems concise.  

Forget about it. It's not happening (legally) for less than 29 days.

Hello All

So I have a two family home.  I just listed my first floor as a short term rental and I have two booking in August.  I will not be hosting my guests, meaning I’m not living in the home.  My second floor is rented permanently.  Can I still continue to do short term rentals if I don’t live in the property?  
Does anyone do short term rental in this way?