New City/ Tourist tax in the Algarve, Portugal

Elizabeth3436
Level 1
Portimão, Portugal

New City/ Tourist tax in the Algarve, Portugal

I'm in the Algarve and the new city tax that went into affect on April 13, 2024 in an area where I have 4 properties has been causing nothing but confusion for me.

I have spoken with the town hall and with an accountant and I understand how it works, but unfortunately, Airbnb hasn't been collecting this tax and neither have I since it came to my attention after it's enforcement date. 

Now I've been told that for any upcoming rentals, I haveadd the details in my description and make a request in the resolution centre for each stay. I have 10 properties and at some point the tax in question will need to be collected in all the cities. How can I possibly do this for all my properties?

This is NOT the only thing I do all day... PLEASE HELP! 

8 Replies 8
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

@Elizabeth3436 ,

Greetings from Sintra, where we have been paying a tourist tax of 2 euros per guest for quite some time.

Airbnb has a business mode that includes additional features such as collecting tax from guests.
It will collect the precise amount of tax from the guest along with the reservation and transfer it to you with your earnings. Airbnb excludes its fees from those taxes.

Once the tax is in your account, you will likely have to pay it online. In Sintra, the tax is paid quarterly. I'm not sure about Algarve.

Thank you for your reply. 

From what I can see, there is only a charge for one amount and it would charge everyone for the entire duration. 

Here, only people 13 and older are charged and only for a max 7 nights, €2 in high season and €1 in low season.

Can you show me. A screen shot of what you are using? Not sure if it's different that what I am using, but you seem to have more options.

Also, the tax has to be paid monthly! 

Thank you! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

For such a tiny amount I wouldn't charge or just increase your day rate @Elizabeth3436 

I legally have to do it, and it's not taxable and has to be paid to a separate entity, so it can't be included in the daily rate.

Angela1056
Level 10
Linarolo, Italy

Thank you. I clicked and saw that I needed to update my company information, but I didn't see anything about adding a tax.

Thanks anyway 😉

@Elizabeth3436 as explained you don’t need to update any company information, just click on “Manage” , then go back to your listing and follow the guide instructions. At the end you’ll see the option “Add a tax”.

I already had professional tools selected. I don't think it'll be a good idea to include this tax as it's not for guests younger than 13 and it's only for 7 nights max. Also, the amount decreases in the low season. I will have to ask for it from each guest. I have added the information to my description and one of my automatic messages and I'll get cash from the guests.

Thanks for your help!