New Short Term Rental Regulations and bylaws for Tiny Township

George1620
Level 1
Waterloo, Canada

New Short Term Rental Regulations and bylaws for Tiny Township

The township we are in is trying to regulate STR's.  They are reacting to complaints from residents about not wanting STR's.  They put together a task force and it seemed they were going to allow a certain amount of licenses to limit the amount of STR's in the area.  In the beginning, it sounded like they were going to ensure this was fair for both the residence and the STR owners.

They are now changing the bylaws as well as proposing to regulate Short Term Rentals with a limit of only allowing to rent for 92 days with a minimum of 6 day rentals.  This is a huge hit for Airbnb and I calculated it will cost them millions per year.

I have reached out to one of the Airbnb employees that is in charge of public affairs and their policies and it has been 4 days and i have had no reply.  

They expect Superhosts to reply within 24 hours.  Meanwhile, they are not replying to me on a matter that I calculated will cost them millions per year.

Which means tens of mellions after 10 years.  Maybe it is no big deal to them now.  But after all townships start going this route.  They may start giving us the support we need.

I see a lot of members in the community such as @Robin4 have been very helpful. 

All i really want is to be able to send a message to ALL 350 to 600 listings in our township to make them be aware of the changes happening in the township.  And at that point if they wish to send an email to council members to voice their frustration about the 92 day minimum, then this council seems to be more reactive.  Which may get them to reconsider this 92 day minimum. 

Most other changes most STR's can live with.  But this 92 day minimum is something a group of 25 of us Superhosts all disagree with.

Please direct me to the proper person.

If we can make a difference by communicating our findings with the local hosts.  This will also bring airbnb tens of millions over the next few years. 

As well as continue to bring HUGE economic growth to the community.  All the landscapers/snow removal/cleaners/maintenance/repair/trades etc...

Tiny is on cusp of great change that can make it a highly desirable vacation destination for Toronto (GTA) residents and potentially internationally.  We can help make it great or we can stifle the change and preserve its outdated ways, letting other municipalities bypass it.  So, if there is a regulatory regime, it needs to be in support of this evolution rather than in its prevention.  This will prevent the few loud voices of parochial residents concerned about noise (or jealous of other people's opportunities, who knows the true motivation) from letting Tiny grow and develop into a WORLD-CLASS destination. 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would hope that any host in an area introducing STR restrictions should be keeping an eye on the regulations so will know this. @George1620 

Hopefully you have an active local host group so I would use this to create an authentic host voice  your views . 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @George1620

Just to add to @Helen3's advice, you can find all local Host clubs on this page. This one in particular might be of interest to you! The Community Center is a global space, so this is definitely worth a look into. 🙂 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello to all my fellow hosts, the new Tiny bylaw on STR is certainly creating a lots of concerns to cottage owners like us.  I was talking to another host in the area and she advised there is a group starting a partition.  I would like to share the link.

https://chng.it/Ffz89QqGCd

Judy