Nightly rate adjustment

Aleksandra207
Level 2
Holte, Denmark

Nightly rate adjustment

Dear friends, I just started with hosting and also challenges started. Today's challenge is that person paid less then our fixed price is, and I don't know how is that possible. Next to discount is written: "nightly rate adjustment". Even if I fixed the min price. Please, advice. Thank you!

17 Replies 17
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Aleksandra207  That "nightly rate adjustment" indicates that you offer a discounted non-refundable cancellation policy, or other discounts. 

Airbnb also applies a 20% discount to the first three bookings on new listings by default, which you can turn off. Check all of your discount settings and cancellation policy.

Your listing is not set up correctly, and you should snooze it right away before you get any more bookings.

If you are renting out 4 private rooms separately, you need 4 listings, one for each room, with a guest count for that room only. You show that room only, plus shared areas, on each listing. Right now, I could book all 4 bedrooms for 4 people for the cost of one room.

Also you need to work on your listing description. I would have no idea what you are offering- you haven't described the guest accommodations at all, the house layout, who the guests are sharing the home with, or anything. And why is there a photo of a clothes rack full of clothes? It should be empty of anything but hangars for the photo.

And once a booking is confirmed, you can't change the price. Changes will only apply to future bookings.

I've just started hosting and have noticed the  "nightly rate adjustment" . You say it can be turned off, what are the steps for doing so?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Aleksandra207 

Your listing is confusing me. It says "private room", but also it says "4 rooms. 4 guests"

Do you offer 4 private rooms ? Then you need to create a listing for each room (or a combination of those), otherwise 1 booking for 1 person will block your calender for more bookings on that dates.

Your listing shows you offer 20% discount (promotion for new listings) for first 3 bookings.

Aleksandra207
Level 2
Holte, Denmark

Dear friend, thank you so much for your fast and proper replies. It means a lot to me! I think in this moment for the good of all (guests, Airbnb and me) would be the best to "freeze" the profile for few days and make proper settings. Can you please answer 2 more things:

1. how to "freeze" the profile

2. hot to ask people not to pay before they get confirmation from my side (this could help to eventually agree about small details if needed).

Thank you very, very much!!! All the best, Aleksandra

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Aleksandra207  

To snooze your listing while you get it set up right: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/476/snooze-unlist-or-deactivate-your-listing

When you are ready to list it again, if you want to be able to approve or decline bookings, you have to turn off Instant Book, which is turned on by default.

Then whenever someone wants to book, you will get an Inquiry or a Request, which will give you the opportunity to communicate with prospective guests, and look at any reviews they might have before deciding whether to accept them or not.

You should also read all  the help articles on the main site for hosts, so you understand the difference between Inquiries, Requests, and Instant Book, and everything else about your settings, etc. 

Also just spend some time clicking on everything on your hosting pages, and making notes, so you know where to find the various settings. They bury a lot of the settings behind several clicks, and it seems like every 6 months they redesign everything, so it can be frustrating to locate what you need. It isn't the most user-friendly website. 

Dear Sarah,

thank you so so so much!

You know, I just received 1st guests and already there is a problem. They think that they paid 2 single rooms. And I think that they paid 1 room, with possibility of 2 people being in the room (even 20% less then the price as Airbnb gave them discount somehow, instead of 1,140 D Danish krone it is 879).

If you look at my profile, would you say that I am wrong or they are wrong. Please check.

I really hope that I will have more luck and understand more the system and settings for the good of all. 

Thank you so much!!!

@Aleksandra207  You haven't seemed to understand what I was trying to explain. You cannot list all 4 bedrooms in one listing, you need 4 separate listings, one for each bedroom. 

The guests are correct in this case- you have to let them have 2 bedrooms because your listing is set up incorrectly so they could have actually expected to have all 4 bedrooms for the price of one.

Soooo how do you turn off the defaulted discount for the first 3 bookings?! I think that is ridiculous. Everything is hidden. I spent a week reading and clicking and still can't figure it out.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Krista267 

No, it is not hidden. It is in section "promotions" when you open your listing calender.

This happened to me as well, and I contacted Air BnB for help. Turns out that without the permission of hosts, they are reducing the price of new listings by 20%. I requested an adjustment to payout to reflect my minimum price, but they refused. This is a pretty shocking violation of their own terms of service, and in some areas is probably illegal. Are other hosts are interesting in connecting to discuss legal action -- possibly a class-action suit?

I only set mine up a week ago and it was clear to me this was happening, there was even an option to turn it off before I published my listing? I just follow their setup process and it was one of the options while I was setting my prices. 

Yes this is not good for airbnb, must a class action suit!!!

This is violence  of airbnb terms and conditions.

Turns out that without the permission of hosts, they are reducing the price of new listings by 20%

What a shame!

Hi Jenny. This just happened to me as well. Have you entertained prosuing legal actions? I’m thinking about, this is outrages  

Robyn438
Level 1
Lexington, MA

I’m now wondering the same?! WTH is a nightly adjustment rate? Looks like I’m getting paid less and I didn’t approve any discounts.  Thanks