Occupancy Taxes Are Supposed to be Collected by Airbnb But Are NOT

Melissa332
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Occupancy Taxes Are Supposed to be Collected by Airbnb But Are NOT

We host our home in Big Bear City, Ca.  We are an in unincorporated area of San Bernadino County.  About 2 years ago, Airbnb entered into an agreement with the county to collect occupancy taxes and submit on the host's behalf.  It worked fine for a few months then stopped without any notice given.  The only way I found out was when I ran my quarterly report to reconcile what was collected vs. what was owed.  Our listing still notes that taxes are collected by airbnb, but they are not. 

I have now been trying to get this fixed for over a year.  Nobody has been any help whatsoever.  I've requested help 5-6 different times.  Each time starting at the beginning.  The most I get is a request for verification of our location.  I provide all of the documentation.  Then radio silence. 

Has anybody else had this problem?  Does anybody have any advice on how to get this fixed?

Melissa332_0-1596669931892.png

2 Replies 2

I have the same situation for a property in North Carolina. I keep getting notices from the State on delinquent taxes threatening collection actions. I have no recourse except to pay, maybe in addition to the guests having paid the same taxes. The State claims no record of any tax payment to my account from Air BnB. But my listing indicates I am in an area where taxes are collected and remitted on my behalf, and the payment details also indicate a line item for state and local taxes being charged the guests upon booking.  Same scenario for VRBO, except the State says they get one check from VRBO every month with no breakdown as to whose accounts these apply to. Hard to believe it is that messed up, but maybe that is not the entire truth. Could be the problem is at the State levels and not with Air BnB.

@Airbnb - If AirBnB staff monitors this, can we get a response to answer some questions? Suggestion: Give the hosts a downloadable document that verifies tax collection and remittance details that the States will accept as proof of payment. 

@Michael5477   Are you submitting your monthly Sales and Use Tax form  (E-500) to the state?  I submit mine every month, showing the amount of rents collected and the taxes imposed, and then zeroing it out with an explanation sheet (Form E-RA) that AirBnB and other OTAs are collecting and paying the taxes owed on my behalf.