Occupancy & Sales Tax NY

Laura6935
Level 1
St. Petersburg, FL

Occupancy & Sales Tax NY

Hello everyone, Airbnb collects and remit occupancy tax for my county in New York but my question is does that include sales tax? My Cleaner is being told that she needs to collect and remit sales tax from the hosts but we are already paying occupancy tax on total including cleaning fee and I’m curious if sales tax is included in the occupancy tax. 

If sales and use tax is already being taken out of the cleaning fee then she wouldn’t need to collect it from me as well correct? 

Am I missing something? Are there any Sales Tax experts in this group?

2 Replies 2
Michael2927
Level 2
North River, NY

Good question.  We have an Airbnb in NY and in our county we pay a occupancy tax and income tax.  We don't pay another sales tax.  Hopefully this is the way it's supposed to work.  But I'll be interested to hear other answers.  #notaxexpert

@Michael2927 It’s super confusing! She cleans multiple Airbnb‘s and New York State is telling her that she needs to be collecting sales tax from the host for every cleaning. But Airbnb is already taking occupancy tax of 7% in our county, so is there an additional 8% of sales tax that they’re saying needs to be collected on the cleaning fees that we are giving to our cleaners? Another confusing point is that a lot of these Airbnbs are held in LLCs which makes it commercial cleaning correct?

#desperatleyseekingsalestaxpro