Offering upgrading options for Experiences

Daniel10299
Level 4
Xul-Ha, Mexico

Offering upgrading options for Experiences

Hi guys,

I'm starting to work on a nature-related Experience for the area I live and I'm facing the following situation:

The experience I would like to offer is something that is not currently available in the area, and would be about 60-70% more expensive than the average cost of other nature related experiences, as I would need equipment that is more expensive. So in order not to be the most expensive experience in the area, and likely getting few bookings, I'm considering having different options to do the experience or "upgrades" that the person could use to get the "the full package". 

Does anyone has some advice around this? Have you seen experiences facing a similar situation? Would it be better to have two experiences that reflect the low cost and the normal cost option?

Any advice will be really appreciated, thanks!

Daniel

6 Replies 6
Deirdre122
Host Advisory Board Member
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Daniel10299 

I'm also an experience host with a nature related activity that has various options. There are two ways that I do this...

I have a 1.5 hour trail and a 3 hour trail, so for those I have two separate listings as they are quite different. The first 1.5 hour is the same, but then on the longer trail, there are the "upgraded" add-ons. (The 1.5 hour trail is a horse ride in a wildlife reserve, the 3 hour trail is the same, plus a ride through neighbouring vineyards and wine tasting).

For my 1.5 hour trail, I have now introduced a sunset ride  - so the same experience, just at sunset - which I price a bit higher than my regular morning trails. For this, I just set the price higher when I create the availability on my calendar for the evening sessions. So both are on the same listing, but the morning rides have the regular price and the evening rides have the higher price. I know this isn't the same as an "upgrade" though so I'm not sure if it will be appropriate in your situation as you can't really specify different add-ons on your higher priced one doing it this way if it's a completely different experience which may need it's own listing.

Hi @Deirdre122 👋🏼 and thank you very much for your response. I think this is very useful for me! I will definitely have a look at how you show both options and how the visuals may change in order to make clear the differences between the two experiences.

In regards to your sunset experience, are you able to then set different prices on the same experience based on the day/time it happens? I have not fully submitted my experience so are not very familiar with that part.

I appreciate your response a lot!

Dani

Deirdre122
Host Advisory Board Member
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Yes, even though you set your price and most common time when you submit your experience overall, when you add availability to your calendar you can still set different times and prices per session.

All the best with your experience - I'm sure you're going to have great fun hosting it and leave your guests with many happy memories!

Thank you very much Deirdre! Will make sure to share once it's ready! Cheers!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Daniel10299 ,

Since it has been a while, were you able to find different options to make your Experience cost-effective or provide newer upgrades for potential guests? Do let us know, how it has been going! 

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi @Bhumika ,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I just submitted my Experience this past weekend and I'm now eagerly waiting to hear back from the Airbnb Team!

Will keep you updated.

Thank you!