Payment deduction

Bruce-And-Debra0
Level 2
Kerhonkson, NY

Payment deduction

I have an ongoing issue with a payout deduction that is very frustrating. From a recent payout, $1,500. was deducted as a "resolution adjustment". Apparently, when a guest canceled her long term stay (36 nights) earlier this season, that money was deducted as a refund to that guest. Well as hosts we know that we do not receive any money from a guest when they book a reservation, so how can Airbnb deduct money from me that I never got? I have contacted them by messaging the "help center" several times and by phone 3 times. Each time I'm told that the situation is being referred to a case manager. It has been about a month and I'm yet to hear anything back. This is very frustrating. Have any of you had similar experiences?.........Thank you.

6 Replies 6
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Bruce-And-Debra0,

I am sure this has been extremely frustrating for you, but Airbnb's refund process is not straight forward and enables them to hold on to funds for longer periods.  It's confusing, and the process isn't explained in detail on just page.

This link states that refunds are deducted from a host's payout: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1335/what-happens-to-my-payout-if-my-guest-cancels#:~:text=If%20...

This link says that you will be paid 24 hours after the scheduled check-in: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels.

This policy discourages hosts from opening us their calendars for more than 3 months into the future, because it can be several months before they are made whole for a canceled reservation.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Debra300 

Thank you
This is the link that I spoke to ABB C/S back in September 2022 in relation to a partial payment refund for a Guest who cancelled part way during her stay.

I specifically stated they need to reprocess and adjust all outstanding Payouts that have become stuck in an endless Paused state as the amount overpaid was paid back to ABB as per my Cancellation Policy and to the best of my knowledge and understanding should not ever have been stuck in that loop.

Alas do you think that C/S Ambassadors get their heads around such a simple technical matter and refer my file to Payouts to process all subsequent transactions  to resolve such a simple matter?

Nope, no credit towards been a long standing Host of now 5 years.

Most of my Guests are still in New Zealand on working Holidays so we are in regular contact and they are equally as annoyed that their monies have NOT been released to me.

Meanwhile it's now 6 months of paying out of my own pocket.

Some have made it clear they will not use ABB again.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Bruce-And-Debra0 See your Transaction History > Upcoming Payouts, was this $1500 showing as a pending -$1500 charge, or just came out of nowhere now? While at it, check if the $1500 shows in your Completed Payouts, to double check if they did indeed pay you for it. You probably know all this, but just double checking.

Anna1684
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

I have been deducted for a booking that was cancelled in January because of a national Covid lockdown in the uk . I agreed to refund all my guests that had booked . But Airbnb say that I received one of my guest payments in January through PayPal . There is no PayPal record of this payment , pay pal say I didn’t receive any money but Airbnb have deducted my last guest payment for the amount they say I received  . 
I have tried contacting Airbnb help messaging  many times and they are not responding with any care or understanding  . They have stolen my hard earned money and there is no way of contacting anybody . As a superhost I give 100% 5* care to my guests but Airbnb could not give a **bleep** about there customers or hosts . No humanity -  Utter greed !!! 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anna1684 The small claims court is simple to access in the UK and will almost certainly rule in your favour if you can't get Airbnb to see sense.

Anna1684
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

It’s for a two night stay and not worth pursuing in the small claims court -  hassle and money and they know it !

It’s the principle - it could have been for a two week stay ! 
I hate the inhumanity of airbnb customer services , especially when I don’t run my business like that and they give superhost status ! It’s a joke and I will be looking for somewhere else to advertise in the future . 
when I read some of the comments on the Airbnb  Instagram posts - there are a lot of people who feel like me !