Pet fees

Answered!
Carol6345
Level 2
Winchcombe, United Kingdom

Pet fees

I have a booking for which the guest has confirmed they are bringing a dog.  I now add a pet fee.  I cannot tell from the booking information available to me whether the pet fee has been paid.  Can anyone help as to how I might find out?

1 Best Answer

@Carol6345  Did he merely indicate he was bringing the pet in a message to you, or is it listed in the reservation details?  In your inbox, you can see the reservation details next to the guest's message, and if they had added the pet to the reservation it would look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 6.43.05 AM.png

If they had added the pet, the charge would appear in the host payout breakdowns.  (I don't charge a pet fee so I can't you an example.)  If the guest hasn't added the pet, you can ask them to do so.

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Carol6345 

If you add a pet fee then it applies to new bookings, not retroactivily on excisting ones.

A pet fee is appears not as a separate line on the payout , but is added to the renting price.

Carol6345
Level 2

This is a new booking.  I would like to see a breakdown of the figures to show that the guest has added the pet at the time of booking.  It would be more helpful to see the figures set out clearly.

@Carol6345  Did he merely indicate he was bringing the pet in a message to you, or is it listed in the reservation details?  In your inbox, you can see the reservation details next to the guest's message, and if they had added the pet to the reservation it would look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 6.43.05 AM.png

If they had added the pet, the charge would appear in the host payout breakdowns.  (I don't charge a pet fee so I can't you an example.)  If the guest hasn't added the pet, you can ask them to do so.

Carol6345
Level 2

Dear Ann72

Thank you for that.  The pet was confirmed in an email to me.  Your post is most helpful.  I have asked for the fee to be added, as you suggest.

Kind regards

Carol6345

Just to be pedantic @Carol6345 you ask them to add the pet, not the fee - once they add the pet as a guest, the fee will be automatically applied.  🙂

I learned an important word today: pedantic. I read and re-read Ann72's reply, and Ann72 is correct to advise us all to choose one's words as precisely as possible. The issue of pets, the pet-fees, ESA, Service Animals, etc are confusing as it is. I am new, so after reading many of the comments, I wonder if there is an Airbnb arbitrator - or - some type of long-term group-negotiator/representative on behalf host concerns to address these common issues once and for all?

Unrelated but similar: I own a condo in Florida. The elected members of the condo board are not helpful concerning rules, or how rules are applied, or how one can be penalized for breaking a rule, nor agree on how to change a rule. The condo complex is administered by a third party company; they collect monthly fees and distribute the rules (that's all they do). If there is an issue with a rule, then it never gets resolved, and of course the complaining never stops.

Melissa1502
Level 2
Ocean View, DE

Is there anyway for a host to add the pet?  I have a couple bookings that were made before the pet option was available. I hate to bug the guest if i can add the pet from my side ?  

Johnny205
Level 2
Docking, United Kingdom

I would like to try to restrict guests to only bringing one pet or, alternatively, charge a fee per pet if they are bringing more than one. Does anyone know how I can do this?

you can't now!

Darlene191
Level 2
Grand Junction, CO

Is the pet fee option a single fee for the duration of a guest's stay? My listing is set up with a 30-day minimum stay, with as much as six months. A $25 fee is not reasonable for that time period.  If it could be set up for perhaps a per day or per month rate, that would be more reasonable in my situation.

What is a good charge for your pet fee?

Karen3280
Level 1
Montclair, NJ

I would also like to know how to charge for two pets.

me too!!!

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

Before Airbnb mandated how much we could charge for pets, I was charging $15 per night per pet. Now,Airbnb wants you to the same fee no matter how many nights a guest stays. They tell me the most I can charge is $100 which might be ok for long term, but not fair for 2 night guests. This new system doesn't work for me. It's not enough for long term and too much for 2 nights. They should let us set our own rates and terms.