Placer County TOT

Placer County TOT

I am new to hosting and included the 12% TOT tax in what I charged (since I understand it is not collected separately on Airbnb). I am doing my TOT worksheet for last quarter and understand that I am to include the rent + cleaning fee in line 1 (Gross Rental Income). However, the TOT website says the following is also taxable:

Reservation and booking fees including host service fees/guest service fees charged by online reservation sites (fees billed and
itemized for guests) 

Is this the Guest Service Fee that guests pay and/or the Host Service Fee I pay to Airbnb? 

Any advice on making this tax collection easier/more streamlined would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Added: I realized I could have the 12% tax added to reservations so I have switched to that going forward. I checked the boxes to tax base price and cleaning fee. Do I need to include anything else?

1 Reply 1
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lindsey374   IMO, it means the service fee that the guest pays to AirBnB (Gross receipts). The 3% fee that AirBnB charges you for using their website and taking the guest credit card payment is deducted from your rental rate (Net receipts) and becomes an expense on your 1040 Schedule E (or C).  

As to your second question, taxing your base price and cleaning fee are all that you have to check unless you have some other fees that you charge your guests (Pet fee for example).