Planning permission in London

Wendy1561
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Planning permission in London

Hi. Airbnb emailed me and said they would block my listing if I went over 90 days, so I must apply for planning permission for the change of use. 

I'm in Waltham forest. 

The planning portal does not allow for this sort of thing as it's concerned with material alterations. The council keep batting us back and forth as it seems like they don't know what to do either. 

Has anyone actually achieved this permission. 

It's typical I've finally got this Airbnb business sorted and it works well for me and now this. 

Any advice much appreciated. 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Wendy1561 The general feeling is that no Airbnb's will get planning permission in London. As such you need to make it work with 90days of STR with possibly students in between?

Ok thanks. Wonder what Airbnb thinks about that . @Mike-And-Jane0 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thinks about what @Wendy1561 

There are rightly STR restrictions in many locations around the world where unfettered growth of STRs are having a negative impact on local communities and leading to the pricing out of key workers and low paid workers leading to shortage to teachers, health staff, bus drivers etc.

@Wendy1561 My guess is Airbnb will be happy they can get revenue from 90 nights and sad they miss out on the revenue from the remaining nights per year. Not sure what else they can think.