Please don’t share my information!

Cristina2039
Level 1
San Luis Obispo, CA

Please don’t share my information!

My city only allows airbnb’s to operate at 50% capacity.  At the same time, we are required to pay equal percentage in city TOT and TBID tax as hoteliers that are not held to any occupancy restrictions.  We also run our homestay under schedule E on our tax return (as opposed to a hotel that has a separate return for the business or runs it through schedule C).  Schedule E does not qualify for any covid relief.  My question is, why is airbnb providing information to cities that are behaving this poorly toward hosts?  Its seems that cities who have treated us so unequally should forfeit their right to receive this information.   Our city taxes are 15% and we are only allowed to have a 50% occupancy rate.  Please join me in calling on Airbnb to cut ties with these cities!

1 Reply 1
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Cristina2039 Airbnb has a strong business interest in cooperating with cities that might otherwise ban them altogether. Instead of calling on Airbnb to make it easier for you to operate illegally, I suggest you get together with other hosts in your area to call on your local government to change its regulations.