Prices not longer appearing unless dates added

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

Prices not longer appearing unless dates added

I noticed this yesterday when I was searching for a place for an upcoming trip. This morning, whilst doing my usual home-market research, it is still happening.

Prices are not showing up in searches (See screenshots)

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.33.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.34.52 AM.png

All are showing up as dots on the map, with the accompanying sidebar of listings showing only the star-ratings and # of reviews.

If you click on a listing, a date needs to be entered before a price populates:

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.32.44 AM.png

So then I wondered what would happen if a guest were using the price as a filter to start a search...users are requested to add dates to the filter before using it

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.34.52 AM.png

My thoughts on this are somewhat mixed. As a guest, when searching yesterday, I found this annoying - my dates are still a little unfixed, so searching for listings by date didn't actually suit me, at this point. It WAS, however, helpful to have the price scrubbed on all the listings, as it allowed me to easily see higher rated and reviewed listings. Entering dates eliminates the "bait and switch" issue on pricing that we sometimes see guest complaining about. Listings are no longer appearing at their lowest price, and having to enter dates ensures the quoted price is actually what each guest will pay.

As a HOST, though, I can see where listing views (and therefore bookings) may suffer with this new scheme- especially for hosts whose marketing plan relies on lower pricing (and perhaps don't have the best ratings as a result, the review system being as flawed as it is).

What are your thoughts, everyone?

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

From various previous posts some parts of the world seem to display prices without dates and some need dates before showing prices. I believe the latter is better as prices vary by time of year in many places so potential guests will get wrong information without dates.

Hope this helps

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Jennifer1421 

That prices aren't shown unless You type in dates is something we have in Germany for more than half a year.

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Ute42 @Mike-And-Jane0 

I think that this is new in North America, as we don't have the same consumer protections as the EU.

This change makes for some "clunkiness" I think (even more than usual), since the user interface was originally designed for prices to appear. For instance, it now makes little sense to have a dedicated price filter if dates need to be entered in advance of same - they'll have to move price to the "more filters" section.

Lots of hosts here, especially those who have designed their prices to show as a lower base rate (with accompanying high cleaning fee) may have to re-think their pricing structures if this particular feature stays in place here.

@Jennifer1421  

When travelling I would be super annoyed to see a low base rate and then find  a large cleaning fee later. As such  I think Airbnb seem to be doing the right thing.

I agree, @Mike-And-Jane0. Whenever I search as a guest, I've found this annoying too - even though as a host, I can understand why folks may do this. We eliminate all potential properties that have a cleaning fee set to a high (we've even seen it at 100) percentage of the base price. Really, we eliminate these listings more out of pique, than whether or not the total cost may actually represent decent value...ah the duality of human nature...

@Jennifer1421 Ha, very interesting. My cleaning fees are fixed costs and my nightly rates vary according to demand. So you are saying that you would exclude my listings when the nightly rate drops below the cleaning fee, though that is when you would be getting the best price. I should maybe set my minimum rates so they can’t ever drop below the cleaning fee and I never offer those reduced rates. Then you would pay enough to feel ok about the cleaning fee, though  the total is higher?

The human brain is a funny thing.

(I am very happy about this change and it won’t change my pricing structure, which is based on fairness and not to mislead. Guests should always see the total price and I hate Airbnb’s practice of displaying only the lowest base rate. It helps nobody.)

I like the change, too, @Lisa723.

What I'm saying is, if I were looking at 2 listings, and one was priced with the total cost at 500, with a cleaning fee of 250 and the base price at 250 (leaving ABB's fee out), vs. a second listing with the base price being the same at 500, I would likely choose the second place with all else being equal. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's likely what I would do.

As you say, the human brain is a funny thing. Mine DEFINITELY is a strange mass of confusion.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello & Thanks @Jennifer1421 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Ute42 

This is also taking place in New Zealand, perhaps it's because of the changes to Custom Settings for pricing and bookings?

And compliance with various countries Regulations.

It in some ways makes sense.

A question, should there be a question in Reviews if the Guest has chosen and undertaken their Bookings based on their own price search?

Perhaps we should start asking our Guests in person why they chose our places...outside of course standard Review Options they are provided with.

The extra often 'hidden" costings for cleaning in addition to base costs overnight is often higher here in Auckland than the room rate.

I suspect this is for Tax purposes.

Those listings always seem to pop up first for Guests to chose and may or may not always be the best value for money or location.

Thoughts?

I'm not quite following what you're asking @Helen427 - my caffeine quota has not yet been met this morning, so my brain isn't quite firing properly. Would you mind clarifying the reason you're asking about reviews (vis a vis) pricing)? Is it to get a sense of what sorts of  perceived "value" drives a guest decision?

As for listings with lower base rates ranking higher in search results - yes...I think that's part of the reason why some hosts choose to build more profit into their cleaning fees, rather than their base rates. If I remember correctly all the things I've read regarding optimization, price is a big factor in how the algo ranks listings.