Public liability insurance

Paula1930
Level 2
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom

Public liability insurance

Hello, 

I recently started Airbnb hosting - I let out one bedroom in my home and I am always at the property myself while guests are staying.

I have buildings and contents insurance but do not have public liability insurance. 

I understand that Airbnb's AirCover provides $1m public liability insurance if a guest suffers injury or loss/damage to property during an Airbnb stay, but I get the impression from the forums that this cover may have loopholes and be difficult to claim.  I am also unsure whether Aircover covers injury or property damage sustained by a guest in a communal area, i.e. outside my own house or garden.  My property has a car park and footpaths which are shared with 10 other residents and I need to be sure I would be covered if a claim arose due to an accident in those areas.  

Please can anyone recommend a UK insurance company which will just provide public liability insurance at a reasonable price?

I've tried to get online quotes but these all seem aimed at businesses so it's hard to answer the questions accurately.  I'd be really grateful if anyone can provide recommendations based on your own experiences.

Many thanks!

Paula

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paula1930 You could try the brokers we use. They are JL Morris who you can find on google. 

Paula1930
Level 2
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom

After looking online a bit I've taken out a top-up policy with Pikl Insurance.  This is specifically designed for airbnb hosts who already have buildings/contents insurance with another provider.  It is based on the understanding that the host has notified their existing insurer that they are doing airbnb, which I have done.

We have also just signed up with PIKL. They seem to be great and easy to add to existing home insurance.

Pauline750
Level 1
Toward, United Kingdom

We have a Romany Style Glamping wagon on our own premises, it doesn't move although it has wheels, we can't seem to get public liability insurance, any help much appreciated