Puerto Rico

Angel9
Level 1
New York, NY

Puerto Rico

Looking to connect with hosts in Puerto Rico.

Please hit me up.

Mainly want to connect with those more experienced who have gone through high/low seasons.

And how they manage to stay on top of the tides.

134 Replies 134
Corinne18
Level 1
Houston, TX

Hi there! This is my first time listing my place in PR.  What's the best way to handle the Room Tax in Airbnb?

Hi,
I add a 7% tax fee to my quote that's what the PR Tourism charges me.
Good luck
Yahaira1
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hi! I am new on this..... Tourism Company change the airbnb taxes to the guest? And whe I fill my monthly information I dont need to pay?

Hi Corinne, I happen to live in Dallas haha! Anyway I was just researching this. It looks like Airbnb can automatically collect and pay the required tax for you: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2326/occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-puerto...

On a side note, there is evidently also a Hacienda Dept that collects an IVU tax, but supposedly if you register with the Tourism Department with an NAICS code of 721199 you will be exempted because you are only providing lodging, not food service, etc. I assume if Airbnb is paying the tax to the Tourism Dept. that they automatically register you this way.

Christopher287
Level 2
Christiansburg, VA

I know this probably isn't the right forum for this post but the conversations in here have been pretty educational with some brilliant folks posting. So I am going to ask...  My recently retired mother lives in Puerto Rico around Arecibo.  She has a nice 3 bedroom house in a gated community about 10 minutes from the beach.  She has paid off about 2/3 of her mortgage but is struggling to juggle that,  and other expenses. I wanted to pay off her house for her in exchange for getting put on the deed with the intent of posting one of her rooms on air BnB to help generate some income.  The target would be one week min stays for folks moving to the area or vacationing.  She will obviously be there to maintain the home maybe cook some arroz con gandules and give people directions to the local sites and best places for mofongo.

The question that I have is how would I go about securing the financing to buy out her mortgage.  I have been researching this on different web-sites but couldn't use find anything useful.   I am assuming it would have to be a local bank or coperativa on the island, and I am far from PR right now.  My mom is not very knowledgeable in the mortgage laws/options and I could use some pointing in the right direction to a local lender that may have some insight that they can share.  If anyone has any suggestions specific to this topic in regards to helping elderly parents out of a mortgage (not necessarily buying the home for market value), feel free to respond here or PM me.

Eddie258
Level 2
Boston, MA

I have a question for any current hosts in Puerto Rico. Before Coronavirus, I was considering on buying a property in San Juan for Airbnb rentals. I’m worried that the pandemic may have affected travel and Airbnb sales as it has with many destinations. I wanted to ask what the current trends are for airbnb hosts? 

Are many travelers still visiting PR despite the restrictions? Has business taken a hit? In other words, is it worth it to invest in rental property at this time? 

Eric4769
Level 2
Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico

I am wondering the same thing.

I actually bought an investment home here in Cabo Rojo about a year ago and have been working on getting it ready. Will be ready for Spring. 

At this point I'm not sure if I should keep and Air bnb or sell it.

I have been searching the site to see if I can find what occupancy looks like for 2021 but I can't seem to find it. 

You get any new info on this?

Sean1117
Level 2
Boston, MA

Hi Everyone,

I just came upon this post and was hoping that I might be able to get some input from folks that are hosting in Puerto Rico.  From what I understand, first you must sign up with the PR tourism company, obtain a hotel id# and then you can add the 7% tax in airbnb and then report it monthly to PR tourism.  I am wondering if it would be wise to set up an LLC and also looking for info/advice on setting up an insurance bond.  I am not aware of the requirements.  Any info/advice from others who are willing to share their experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  Sean

Hello, I’m just about to wrap up my first year of hosting. I was wondering if I have to pay taxes on the earned money here in Puerto Rico. And if so, can I deduct the expenses that I invested in setting up. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead…

Hello fellow hosts!.. I’m wrapping up my first year of hosting. I was wondering if I have to pay taxes on the earned income. If so, will I be able to deduct the the start up expenses? Thanks ahead.

Hello Julio,

If you are a sole proprietorship you report your Airbnb earnings as income and yes you can deduct your cost of service. If you are an LLC 'passing through' earning to yourself you can also do the same. If you are filing in PR, you must do so through SURI. Puerto Rico taxes LLC as a corporation. Speak with your CPA about this. 

Steve11
Level 3
San Juan, Puerto Rico

**[Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center. 

Alma427
Level 2
Boston, MA

We created an Alliance for Short Term Owners and Operators in Puerto Rico. Our mission is to support this important segment of the Tourism Economy, advocate for responsible and fair regulations and educate stake holders on best practices to raise the bar on the guest experience and stay mindful of the greater community.

This is FREE MEMBERSHIP (a non profit organization) and we welcome questions and comments.

Please check out our website VivaPRalliance.

www.VivaPRalliance.com

Alma Bair

Rene Acosta

Co-founders.

Chemay0
Level 1
Watertown, CT

Are there any experienced hosts in the Aguadilla, Puerto Rico area? I'm searching for a property management company that can take care of cleaning my rental after each visit, handle any emergencies like a broken faucet or toilet, as well as doing some light yard maintenance. I'm new to renting our home to travelers so any guidance around this would be helpful. Thanks.