Quebec

Erin6148
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Quebec

Hello;

I am in the process of applying for a short term rental permit in a municipality in the Eastern townships that permits them after meeting certain conditions.

I just found out that the neighbours across the street have circulated a petition against our application and all neighbours have signed.

We have made it abundantly clear that this is our second home and that we have no intention of making it a party house or anything disruptive to the neighborhood but it has fallen on deaf ears.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I am hoping that we will be treated fairly by the town council but I have my doubts.

Thanks;

Erin

1 Reply 1

@Erin6148  Even if the writer of the petition was solely focused on concerns about parties or disruptions, each of the other neighbors who signed it probably had their own reasons. And it's hard to know how deeply held their objections are, and whether they're willing to do more to get their way than just sign a form.

I don't really see a solution that doesn't at least start with hearing them all out individually and showing a good-faith effort to reach a set of parameters and limitations for the STR that they can live with. Realistic? Probably not. People who dislike the hypothetical of an Airbnb next door hate it even more when it really happens, and if they perceive you as a multi-homeowner putting profit before community, those hearts aren't going to thaw anytime soon.

If this home is a place where your family hopes to spend quality time between Airbnb guests, maybe it's better to let the neighbors have a win. It hurts to be the target of it from everyone on the block, even if the resentment isn't merited. Also, it's not always possible to keep it hidden from guests that literally nobody living on the block wants them there, which makes that "belong anywhere" vibe pretty hard to pull off. 

Is the community mostly comprised of primary residents, or is it more "second homes"?