Refund and Taxes in France

Rim559
Level 2
Geneva, Switzerland

Refund and Taxes in France

Hi everyone. Anybody had issues with guest refunds showing on your tax declarations? I had a guest leave a few hours after checking in because he didn't like the place, I took the high road and fully refunded him.

I am now finding that reservation and amount as a gain on my tax declaration (which airbnb shares with the tax authorities in France) and no where does it show that I have refunded that amount.

Airbnb support is being useless with endless explanations about the refund being taken from another booking because it came through after 7pm (?) and that the booking is actually a gain because that amount was sent to me effectively (although it was later on retracted from another booking) but that doesn't show nowhere on the amounts the tax authorities. 

Anyone has a better explanation than airbnb or have had a similar experience. Should I just not delcare that amount and then show that it has effectively been refunded to the guest?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rim559 I think what they are saying is that the refund was given against your next booking and hence the revenue for this booking was reduced. If true this will make your tax return correct.

@Rim559. I assume you download both transaction history reports in a spreadsheet to see these adjustments (ie both the bookings and tax reports)? As stated by @Mike-And-Jane0 if they have reduced the income from the subsequent booking payment it should show there. IF the total (net amount) on the spreadsheets is less than the amount reported (and equals what you have received) then talk to a tax agent about an adjustment. You'll need supporting evidence I would think.

I know many people self lodge their returns but its becoming increasingly apparent to me that we are all running businesses and need the extra support, which AIrbnb isnt really tasked to provide imo. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.