Refunding a guest

Refunding a guest

Hi I’m co host to 3 cabins in Hereford United Kingdom.  

A guest booked one of our cabins and was arriving the same day.  I had to cancel the booking as we had some issues with that particular cabin. 
How do I go about sending a refund for the full amount? 

many thanks 

Gretel 

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gretel24 If you cancelled then Airbnb will refund the guest automatically and fine you for the cancellation.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Gretel24 

I thought you might find this article useful in case this was to happen again in future, it's an article about how to mitigate any issues that could arise from cancelling someone's stay.

Was the booking initially made via Instant Book?  If so, Hosts can cancel an Instant Booking up to three times in a year, penalty free.

Let us know how you get on, and hopefully the issue with the cabin is sorted soon!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can only cancel penalty free if the guest doesn't meet your house rules @Jenny 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen3 

Thanks for the heads up.  The reason I mentioned it is because the article states:

"If a Host uses Instant Book, they may be able to cancel for additional valid reasons without consequences under certain circumstances. Some examples include:

• The guest makes it clear they are likely to break one of the Host’s house rules, such as bringing a pet or smoking
  • The listing doesn’t fit the needs of the guests – for example, if it’s not suitable for families or pets
  • The guest has several unfavourable reviews or a lack of profile information that concerns the Host

Hosts will be able to cancel Instant Book reservations online three times in one year for these reasons – after that, they’ll have to contact us to cancel without consequences. Otherwise, fees will apply. If a Host cancels a large number of Instant Book reservations, they may be required to turn off Instant Book.

To cancel in one of these situations, a Host may be required to submit proof. For example, they might be asked to provide photos, videos and other documentation in the case of emergency repairs, or a letter from a doctor in the case of serious personal illness."

As @Gretel24 mentioned that there were some issues with that specific cabin, I thought it possible that the scenario could have made the listing unable to fit the needs of the guest or requiring emergency repairs.

@Gretel24, if you wanted to be absolutely sure of what would happen if you cancelled in future, it'd be best to contact Airbnb Support directly as the article I shared gives some examples, but it's always good to check with them before you take any further steps.

I hope in this case the cancellation goes smoothly.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Jenny 

No if a host wants to cancel because of issues at the listing they need to use Airbnbs. EC policy and provide evidence 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As you cancelled the booking before the guests stay they will be automatically refunded by Airbnb. @Gretel24 

If you want to avoid host cancellation penalties you will need to provide proof of the problem that led to you cancelling the booking