Renting a single room in Valencia

Answered!

Renting a single room in Valencia

Hi guys! Hope you are all doing well 🙂

I will soon buy a two-bedroom apartment in Valencia, Spain, and would love to become an Airbnb host. 

My plan is to live in the property myself and rent out the spare room.

I have conducted a lot of research already but the vast majority of articles don't apply to my current situation, since they were on  "renting out an entire property".

In one post I read, that I would need a hostel license, if I'm going for renting out a single room. This honestly freaked me out a little. 

I was wondering if any of you currently rents out a spare room in Valencia and can enlighten me about the license issue.

Thanks in advance & happy weekend!

Lisa

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When doing your research have you checked on the Valencia local government website to see if there are STR restrictions/whether you need a license. If not this should be your starting point. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When doing your research have you checked on the Valencia local government website to see if there are STR restrictions/whether you need a license. If not this should be your starting point. 

Nancy302
Level 4
Savannah, GA

In my area they just passed an ordinance that we private in house renters also need to have a short term rental business license, with the yearly fee going up all the time.  No difference designated between renting out a whole house and just one or two rooms in a private house.  This is really quite unfair but apparently the Hospitality Industry here calls the shots.  They want the Airbnbers out.

If you are renting  or subletting your apartment or a single room in Spain with a tipical renting or subletting contract for longer periods than six months in Spain this is regulated and does require a license. But when you are welcoming guests in your home or accomodation as we call it and you share the space with them for shorter periods than 6 months. This is not regulated in Spain and there is no such license.

Ben5544
Level 2
Skerries, Ireland

Hi Lisa, have you figured out the rental situation in Valencia for renting out only a private room in your apartment?

Thinking of doing the same but the description of the policies is not very clear.

Thanks.

Ben

Check my reply to Lisa 

Jose6837
Level 2
Paterna, Spain

Despite the dreadful silence concerning this theme. There is currently no regulations in Spain concerning Home Sharing. It is mind boggling that Airbnb is not addressing this situation by clarifying it in bold letters. Home sharing us how AirBnb started and became famous worldwide. 

The licenses currently offered by municipalities such as Valencia are for Tourist Apartments short term rentals. When you contact them to obtain a Home Sharing license they react as if you were from another planet. Then they tell you no such licence exists. 

And Airbnb knows this very well. Proof of it is you can activate and operate your AirBnb account without a license. 

Having guests in your home cannot be regulated as such given that you can choose to have guests, family, friends or friends of friends in your home anytime you want. This is not even arguable even if you are a tenant and your landlord prohibits you from subletting your apartment simply because you are NOT SUBLETTING. You are inviting guests over into your home and no one can prohibit you from doing that.

Hope this helps.

Jose

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry you are not correct on this if you offer accommodation in your home and you are renting there will often by clauses against sub-leasing /running a business . @Jose6837 

you aren't simply inviting personal guests you know into your home . You are running a business offering paying strangers accommodation in your home . You are running a business where you provide a service which your guests pay .

Juridically speaking the typical leasing/renting  contract prohibits the tenant to sublet his or her apartment or house. 

1. If the landlord who owns the apartment allows it, that clause is not in the contract.

2. If the clause is present it only prohibits you to sublet your appartement to another person. Subletting implies that you leave the premises and the third party has been approved by the landlord and the new tenant assumes the obligations if specified in the contract as such otherwise the original tenant continues being responsible for the financial and other responsibilities described in the lease.

3. Having guests in one’s apartment whether they are non paying guests or paying guests could only be prohibited if indicated clearly in the rental contract.  Who in their sane mind would sign a lease (unless pressed by economic necessities) that prohibits one having guests in their own house?

4. A clause that specifically prohibits a tenant from running a business  of any type or nature in the rented apartment could indeed obligate the tenant to cease its operation if welcoming guests using such a platform as AirBnb to provide a service of accommodation which is very different than renting or subletting space which is regulated in many if not all countries.

This is not what I was suggesting in my earlier comments. Renting or subletting is defined by a law in Spain where they also define the space rented or subleted for longer than six months as Touristic Appartements. If you want to operate this type of business in most large cities in Spain you will need a license. If you are Home Sharing only then none of those cities currently offer a license to do so, hence you can offer this service and are subjected to other laws that oblige you to pay taxes on revenue gained by those services you provide when you share your home with paying guests.