Renting and Airbnb

Answered!
Melissa2028
Level 1
Snug, Australia

Renting and Airbnb

Hi I know this apparently is allowed overseas but can you rent a room or advertise it as Airbnb if you are renting 

1 Best Answer

@Melissa2028. What does your lease say? If its a standard one, chances are sub letting is not permitted without the landlord's consent (most states). If you do reside in Snug, TAS, then go to www.tutas.gov.au where I found the following:

Sub-tenancies are permitted under the following two conditions:
1) the ‘head’ tenant(s) must occupy the premises and 2) the ‘head’
tenant(s) must get consent from the landlord/agent. The landlord/
agent must not unreasonably withhold consent. A Bill currently before
Parliament may change these conditions so check the Tenants' Union
website for updates. Sub-tenancies are not covered under the
Act but an agreement will be subject to general contract law.

Consequently most landlords would not permit them as they provide little if any statutory protections, insurance becomes void and they would need to sue you and/or your guests personally. So they would find plenty of reasons to decline your request.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Melissa2028 

First you would have to check with the owner if it's allowed then check in your area to see if STR is allowed,

Who would be liable for damages, and does the owner's insurance cover STR ?

Sub letting here in Thailand is illegal but it does go on,

I do know of someone who got kicked out of an apartment for doing Airbnb in Australia 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Doesn't Airbnb have a requirement that one has to prove they are either owner or at least hold a  written lease to even become a host?  I would think anyone in the rental business has a restriction on such a practice. Stands to reason.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unfortunately Airbnb as you'll know carries out no checks when you set up your listing to either demonstrate you own the property or are allowed to sub let. @Fred13 

They just state in their T&Cs you need permission.

Most landlords in the UK have a standard clause in their lease that forbids sub letting but I am not sure how common this is in other countries.

Aye, too much room for fudging and claiming innocence.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Melissa2028 airbnb requires you to attest that you are allowed to rent on Airbnb. If you have this permission then you are good to go.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As a landlord I don't allow tenants to sub let @Melissa2028 

What does it say in your lease regarding sub letting? You would need to talk to your landlord. 

@Melissa2028. What does your lease say? If its a standard one, chances are sub letting is not permitted without the landlord's consent (most states). If you do reside in Snug, TAS, then go to www.tutas.gov.au where I found the following:

Sub-tenancies are permitted under the following two conditions:
1) the ‘head’ tenant(s) must occupy the premises and 2) the ‘head’
tenant(s) must get consent from the landlord/agent. The landlord/
agent must not unreasonably withhold consent. A Bill currently before
Parliament may change these conditions so check the Tenants' Union
website for updates. Sub-tenancies are not covered under the
Act but an agreement will be subject to general contract law.

Consequently most landlords would not permit them as they provide little if any statutory protections, insurance becomes void and they would need to sue you and/or your guests personally. So they would find plenty of reasons to decline your request.