Request to view home before booking

Request to view home before booking

Hi:

I’m new to hosting. My city has a requirement that stays must be more than 30 days or you need a special permit which of course they are all taken. So for now, I’m stuck with 31 days or more bookings. I have a request from a person wanting to view the property before booking a 2 month stay. The person allegedly lives in Boston but will be in California in August for work and is requesting to see the property. This seems a bit odd and perhaps a bit unsafe. Any advice is appreciated.

3 Replies 3
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Tracy875   Obviously this is your decision.  We have done a couple of long term (two month) let’s at our listing and on both occasions allowed the guests to see the property first just to ensure it was suitable for their purposes.  Photographs are great but often don’t show the whole picture.  I would also be reluctant to lay out a lot of money to rent something unseen for several months.

Perhaps you could ask a few more questions such as where they will be working or maybe ask for a reference if it would make you feel more comfortable?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Tracy875 

If you don't feel comfortable doing an in-person viewing, you could offer a video tour via WhatsApp, Zoom or whatever, instead, where the guest can get to see more of the property and ask you questions about it at the same time.

Technically, it's not allowed to exchange any contact details on Airbnb prior to a booking though so you would have to work around that...

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Tracy875 Personally, I would not do it, and especially if you’re a female or living alone. This is your first rental request. Don’t be tempted, don’t be rushed. Other requests will come. If you are tempted, ask for name of employer to verify that guest is truly coming to area to work. I presently have a guest for 2 months and he offered the name of his employer. I really like @Huma0 suggestion of a video tour. 

I looked at your rental and it is very nice with really great pictures. Anyone should be able to tell from the photos if it will be a good fit or not. And it’s for 2 months, not a year!.

Follow your gut instinct.