Requests for stays from guest with no reviews

Kevin364
Level 2
Timbuktu, Mali

Requests for stays from guest with no reviews

I got a request for a stay from a guest with no reviews, yet they've been a member for 4 years.  No picture.   

I don't mind the no picture, but I'd like additional information, such as:   

1 - Has the guest stayed at an Airbnb property?      

2 - How many stays?

3 - Business or leisure trip?

The request had absolutely no info on which I can base a decision.  

I think the above should be required info with a request.

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kevin364 

You can ask the guest some questions.

I always ask what i want to know and a serious guest will answer polite questions.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

There is lots of guest for who is their first time using Airbnb, 

I never ask personal questions it's nothing to do with me,

This business is about getting bodies on beds.

If a host started asking me questions like that, I'll find somewhere else,

If you book a hotel do they ask you questions? 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Kevin364 I think you have leapt to the wrong questions . Send your mobile through and after welcoming the guest,  request an id . Informing the guest that Airbnb do not supply that information or any credit card information and that you will need to know the names and phone numbers and or id of all adult guests . also inform them that as the 'owner ' of the property you prefer to always know who is staying in your house ,. also add that this is for your protection and theirs. At the same time remind them to read all of your house rules and to give you a time of arrival and a heads up if they are running late ,so you can meet them or put heaters , aircons etcetera on.Ask questions and make it clear that you are available at the end of the phone for any issues that they may have or enquiries before they arrive .H

This communication often sorts out a few problems that may have been going to arise. Newbies are newbies for many reasons but it is a hosts skill that sees them deal with these issues before people arrive and not after they are there . H

Kevin364
Level 2
Timbuktu, Mali

My main issue was that an Airbnb potential guest had been part of Airbnb for 4 years and there was absolutely no data on them presented to me with a stay request through Airbnb.   I fully understand that one must do something to get experience, so one has to stay to have a history of stays.

After reading the responses, I'd still like to see, on a long time member with no reviews, a bit more Airbnb information on which to base my decision.   Without me grilling the potential customer.  

To me, being a member for 4 years with no reviews implies that either you haven't used Airbnb (due to one of many valid reasons) or your hosts lived by my Mom's old saying "If you have nothing good to say about someone, say nothing about them" - so they had a guest they couldn't say good about and didn't review them.   

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kevin364 

Not necessarily. Some hosts just never leave reviews (I've seen many state that here on the CC). I recently hosted an absolutely delightful guest who followed house rules to the letter. He had no reviews and when I asked him if he had stayed at an Airbnb before he said yes, but the host never left a review and he had no idea why. Having hosted this guy in my own home for two months, I'd be astonished if the previous host had anything bad to say, so I assume they just couldn't be bothered.

I ask questions to every single guest who request to book with me, although not necessarily the same ones you mention. I simply wouldn't accept a booking otherwise. I disagree with @Sudsrung0 on this one. We are not running hotels and I think it's reasonable for a host to know who is staying in their property, but I guess it depends also on the set up or location and the reason guests usually come there.

RE the photo, Airbnb hides guests' profile photos until he booking is confirmed, so it doesn't necessarily mean that the guest hasn't uploaded one. There is a setting where you can require all guests who book with you to have uploaded one. You still won't get to see it BEFORE they book. That's just Airbnb policy.