Reservation change Pricing Adjustment issues

Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

Reservation change Pricing Adjustment issues

Hi had a recent situation that highlights a potential issue with Airbnb Price adjustment methodology.  Wondering if other hosts have observed this. 

Situation - My base rate is 365/nt + 155 cleaning.  I received booking request for 6 nights with a 5% early booking discount, which I accepted but let the guest know if they booked 7 nights they would get an additional 10% off with my weekly discount making the extra night a little over 100 more.   They had a payment issue with the credit card on file that had issues resolving so they cancelled/withdrew the request and had their husband book under his account for the 7 days.  

Turns out Airbnb doesn’t stack the discounts so they only got the 10% weekly rate.  I wanted to honor my commitment so after accepting the booking I went to adjust the price and lowered my total without Airbnb fees by $125 dollars and when it was processed it only rustled in a savings of $68 to the guest.  

In my mind the guest should save $125 plus the ~14% commission or about $140.   

in the end I had to have to the guest cancel and then submit an inquiry so I could send them a special offer. 

I think what is happening is that Airbnb locks their commission in at the full rate before discounts. And it does not appear to be recalculated with pricier adjustments.  Or there is signifier bug in the pricing adjustment tool. 

BTW : I contacted Airbnb help and they were unable to resolve. 

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Andrew90 

You can use the price calculator at the calender to see what is calculated for guest and host.

When you use the change form, you can also see immediatally which total will be  charged to the guest after the change. It is recommended to allways check if complex discount settings are processed as expected by using the price calculator or the listing itself to simulate  bookings.

Airbnb useally add service fee percentage on the price including all discounts. If you lower the price in the change form, the Airbnb service fee should lower too. But other elements (VAT, Local Taxes, fee for additional guests,  etc. can also be (variable) parts of the price). For example the fee for additional guests is not recalculated when there are discounts.

Thanks, I’m. It taking about the pricing of the initial reservation but altering/changing an existing one.  It’s not right that a $125 discount in my payout results in a. $26 savings to the guest.  And why is Airbnb support process it is it $68?   

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Andrew90 btw... when booking as a guest ABB often throws in these little messages "add an extra night for just $xxx" and no, I don't think CS will ever be able to explain this to you.

In the end, you've created a whole lot of work for yourself and the guest by being "helpful". If presented with this exact scenario again, it might be better to just leave it be

@Kelly149 I agree just sharing my experience so hopefully others won’t get wrapped around the axle like I was.  

Something is definitely wrong with the price alteration tool. But I am a man of my word.  

@Andrew90 yes, unfortunately many of us have learned the hard way that things that should be simple, often just aren't