Rules to open AIRBNB in Sri Lanka

Answered!
Annet1057
Level 1
Umeå, Sweden

Rules to open AIRBNB in Sri Lanka

Hi,

I am interested in letting out my property for tourists on air bnb for short term stay's. Can someone tell me what the rules are for doing so, i.e. any licenses I need to obtain or taxes I need to pay on my income? I was unable to find anything online hence why I post here, I have a foreign passport and live abroad whilst I own property in Sri Lanka. 

Thank you 

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Annet1057 

1. You need to check with the Sri Lankan government or area government about STR legislation 

2. for taxes you need to speak to an accountant with experience of taxation in Sweden and Sri Lanka as you will probably need to pay tax in both countries 

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Annet1057 

1. You need to check with the Sri Lankan government or area government about STR legislation 

2. for taxes you need to speak to an accountant with experience of taxation in Sweden and Sri Lanka as you will probably need to pay tax in both countries 

Nuwan15
Level 2
Tangalle, Sri Lanka

@Annet1057

Hi Annet, my name is Nuwan, I am a Sri Lankan and a hospitality professional who has 12+years hotel background. Currently I own my own airbnb place and living a simple but a happy life. 

Since you are a foreigner who own a property in Sri Lanka, you can rent and manage your property while you are out of SL. As long as your accommodation payment received to your non resident bank account ( non Sri Lanakn bank account) you will not be taxed. 

However, you need to find some trustworthy people to maintain your property and host your clients. That's the challenging part. 

Then you can list your property on Airbnb and when you receive bookings, you can do the coordination part with clients and the co-host.