Selectively apply Security Deposit?

Answered!
Leslie625
Level 2
Nova Scotia, Canada

Selectively apply Security Deposit?

Hello! We have decided to indicate on our listing that our listing is not recommended for children, as they have caused the most damage to our property. If prospective guests requests to bring children, can we apply a security deposit to their booking only?

1 Best Answer
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

And also.... 

Age and Familial Status

• Airbnb hosts may not:
    • Impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law.
  • Airbnb hosts may:
    • Provide factually accurate information about their listing’s features (or lack of them) that could make the listing unsafe or unsuitable for guests of a certain age or families with children or infants

well, I have no idea if Canada thinks @Leslie625  is a business or a private individual or a leasing agent or if Canada has an opinion on if it is permissible for her to keep certain age groups out of her house... 

but we all know when push comes to shove the true actual letter of the law isn’t what ABB bases decisions upon,  and if there’s an angry mother complaining that she should get to visit with her darlings and this listing just says “no children” then who do we all think abb will be siding with?

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Leslie625 No, you can't: the "deposit" is applied to all reservations.

Please also keep in mind that the Airbnb "security deposit" isn't a deposit at all: it's an amount that the guest could theoretically be charged for damage if something happens. In order to collect, the guest or Airbnb needs to agree that you're due money, and then successfully collect it. If you're seeing a lot of children cause damage, your safest course of action is just to continue not to host them. 

@Alexandra316 @Thank you so much for the information. Very helpful

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Not only is the deposit not a deposit, but ABB does not believe in you allowing or disallowing certain ages of guests bc of their age. 
now, if your HOA or insurance or some safety issue prevents a certain category from coming then that’s ok. But you just deciding that children are a problem is not allowed. Per abb. 

@Kelly149 that's incorrect. Age is not one of Airbnb's protected categories,  which are: Race, Color, Ethnicity, National Origin, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, or Marital Status

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/nondiscrimination_policy

Local laws determine whether you can restrict children, etc.:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1620/is-placing-restrictions-based-on-a-guests-age-or-familial-s...

@Lisa723  On a phone so can’t be super detailed. And of course as always abb is vague. And of course I believe a home owner should be able to make decision about their home. However, the help article you referenced says: We encourage you to be candid in your listing about what features you believe may be unsafe or unsuitable for guests of a certain age or families with children or infants, and to discuss any concerns with potential guests. You should also learn more about the housing laws applicable in your area, and consult an attorney for advice.

so, I stand by the premise that if a listing simply says “no children allowed” without something they consider a justifiable reason then abb will not be on board. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Leslie625

I also don't host children in a few of my spaces, mostly for safety reasons.  On the Booking Settings tab under House Rules, have you checked the two option that children are not allowed?  

Debra300_0-1601505369657.png

Hi all, thanks for the info. The listing settings use the term “suitable” as opposed to “allowed”. I have checked the not suitable option, and added details that the house is not babyproofed, the property is not fenced and also it is on the water. I don’t I tend to take a hard line on not having children I just don’t want repeat issues of partying parents ignoring their children and causing damage. 

@Debra300 Yes, I have done that, thank you 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

And also.... 

Age and Familial Status

• Airbnb hosts may not:
    • Impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law.
  • Airbnb hosts may:
    • Provide factually accurate information about their listing’s features (or lack of them) that could make the listing unsafe or unsuitable for guests of a certain age or families with children or infants

well, I have no idea if Canada thinks @Leslie625  is a business or a private individual or a leasing agent or if Canada has an opinion on if it is permissible for her to keep certain age groups out of her house... 

but we all know when push comes to shove the true actual letter of the law isn’t what ABB bases decisions upon,  and if there’s an angry mother complaining that she should get to visit with her darlings and this listing just says “no children” then who do we all think abb will be siding with?