Service Animals & Hosting

Theodore34
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Service Animals & Hosting

Hello Everyone,

I am a host in San Francisco, California and I just got a guest inquiry that has a service animal. He did not mention what type of animal or what service it provides. Been reading the Airbnb ToS and it appears that I cannot deny a guest with a service animal (which is fair), but I do have questions.

1. Am I allowed to ask what type of animal is providing the service?
  2. Am I allowed to ask if the service animal is housebroken?
  3. What constitutes a Trained Service Animal?
  4. Is an Emotional Support Animal considered a service animal under Airbnb ToS?
  5. If the service animal soils the apartment or bites someone during the guest's stay, what recourse do I have?

Airbnb policies are exceedingly vague and I find it frustrating. Any guidance and prior first hand experience would be greatly appreciated!

2 Replies 2
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Theodore34   Do not bother with the Air TOS.  Review the ADA definitions to familiarize yourself with what is a Service Animal and what is NOT.  

However, in response to your questions:

1.  You can ask if you can provide dog bowls ...then you know it's a dog.  

2.  Service animals are highly trained and housebroken.

3.  See the ADA definition.

4.  Air considers ESAs to be equal to Service Animals, which is  "insert rude word here".

5.  You can request payment from the guest for damages.  Air will not support that request.

Most guests who are bringing a TRUE service animal will gladly tell you about their dog.  TRUE service animals are highly trained, are with their owner 24/7, i.e., NEVER left alone in the accommodation, are usually leashed, house-broken, and do not bark unless it is a trained response.  You do not interact with a person's service animal unless invited.

In my 20 years of hosting, I have perhaps hosted 5 TRUE service dogs.  The rest of the "service dogs" have been fluffy "Fifi" types whose owners have purchased cute little vests and fake papers for them online.  They were just trying to avoid the Pet Fee which I pay to housekeeping to clean up Fifi's dog poo and treat the cabin for fleas, ticks, etc. because who knows if Fifi goes to the vet.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Theodore34  Double check the Airbnb rules, but I think you can ask if it is trained for a specific task and what that task is. 

There is also wording in the Airbnb rules that says the expectation for a service or ESA is that the animal will be with it's handler at all times and not left at the property for any prolonged period of time, so I would find that and provide the link to the guest.