Service Fee's and up front payments

Kelsey82
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Service Fee's and up front payments

I have been a super host and a traveler for year... but I have a question about a booking I created as a traveler ( which will affect hosts). I booked an air B and B for the summer that had free cancelation. It was not exactly what I was looking for but there was not many options to choose from so I booked it. A few weeks later a new listing popped up that was perfect - exactly what I was looking for. So I canceled my first booking and booked this new place for the same dates. This new booking was double the price of the original place and so more service fee's/ taxes of course.... anyways  Air b and b refuses to return my service fee of 120 dollars from the original place. So just because I decided to switch to a new property still using air b and b I am being penalized and having to pay two service fees. There should be  a policy that if you find a better place and the property's have free cancelation that you should not have to pay both service fees. Does anyone know where I can submit a formal complaint? I have already tried talking to air b and b about this and I am getting no where. 

It is important for hosts to know thus too... that if guests booked something but want your place instead - they are deterred against switching.

Another thing that I do not like is that guests have to pay right away when they book a property ( at least half) even if there booking is 7 months away. This is something else that should be changed... more and more people will get a hotel instead as it is actually free cancelation and they do not have to put any money upfront. I agree there should be some sort of deposit to hold it ..say 100 dollars? but for instance this place I booked for the summer of 2021 made me pay 900 dollars up right which will sit on my credit card for 8 months. I think way more people would book air b and b's if some of these policy's changed. 

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kelsey82 

Airbnb Guest Service Fee is refunded if the terms regarding refunding these fees are met in the specific cancellation policy .... but to a maximum of 3 times a year !

Maybe this restriction is setup to discourage guests to cancel a lot for reasons like  "found a better deal" and this way it acts also as a protection for hosts.

But if you were entitled to be refunded the   Airbnb Service Fee, IMO you should have received it.

But maybe wait until received before making a new booking...

Emily1437
Level 2
MA, Germany

I had the same issue and totally agree with you - it's very off-putting.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Refuse-to-refund-service-fee-for-double-booking/m-p/1474662