Short term lets Scotland public liability insurance

A65
Level 3
Pitlochry, United Kingdom

Short term lets Scotland public liability insurance

Our local council, Perth and Kinross, insist on £5million of public liability insurance before we can get the short term let licence. This is £3million more than most other councils for some reason - perhaps hosts here are particularly dangerous?! Anyone managed to find this for a reasonable cost? 

8 Replies 8
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @A65, Have you managed to get this information elsewhere?

I am also reaching out to a few Hosts from Scotland if they have any tips or suggestions on this topic by any chance:  @Veronique243 @Ronak12.

You can also have a look at the Local Host Clubs to chat with Local Hosts by exploring this link here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Local-Host-Clubs/ct-p/en_clubs.

Keep us posted!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mark4935
Level 2
Balfron, United Kingdom

Hi, this £5 million is also required by Stirling council.  I haven't yet found any insurance company willing to provide that as a stand alone product.  I have been told that the company must insure my whole home and might then consider adding PL insurance to that policy, but no luck in finding anyone who will do that either.  The best PL stand alone insurance I can get is £2 million.

@Mark4935 @A65 Have you tried JL Morris insurance brokers. They seem to be able to access many policies. Alternatively perhaps a broker who deals with Lloyds of London?

A65
Level 3
Pitlochry, United Kingdom

Spoke to Hodgson Insurance Services who said the same thing, but it seems as long as I have some part of buildings and contents insurance with them, it's fine, though someone else said if you're double insured, it's illegal. 

Quote from Direct Line after several phone calls. £181 for 2 people in one room.

Can't believe Airbnb aren't helping us out with this, even if we have to pay extra. Seems to be a real problem. 

Euan22
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Did you have any joy with this Mark ? We’re just outside Drymen, trying to get cover for a classic caravan on our land . Struggling to get the £5m PLI and not compromise domestic home cover . 
Cheers

Euan

Charlaine3
Level 2
Dundee, United Kingdom

I am having exact same issue with Dundee city council. Even I insurance companies feel it’s excessive for letting one room. If you get info please share. 
charlaine

Carolyn713
Level 2
Kirkmichael, United Kingdom

I'm having the same problem.  If I find anything useful I'll post it on this site.

Andy3668
Level 2
Johnshaven, United Kingdom

Has anyone found a resolution to this? Aberdeenshire Council has said they dont want multiple insurers, which means the $1m PLI offered by AirBNB cannot be supplemented by another source and if we insured for the full £2m that AC want we would anyways be doing multiple insurance. ....Hmmm