Smart Pricing 2022/23 -- pricing low in high season

Alison290
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Smart Pricing 2022/23 -- pricing low in high season

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

I read your smart pricing gone horribly wrong thread, and a few other smart pricing threads.

and the solution suggested by   @Jenny349

I have an experience that I'd like to share, but I also want to ask you to think about a hosts day of action: 

imagine if all the hosts on airbnb around the world all blocked their listings one day or for a few days, until airbnb agreed to a set of host-community standards. 

you can email me at

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

to discuss.

my smart pricing experience:

I turned on Smart Pricing, and set the range following Airbnb's advice in order to maximize my rentals in low season. I trusted that airbnb would balance low and high.

Today I got an IB in high season, seven months from now, for less than the mid-price in the range.

Airbnb charged less in August, than the apartment  rented for in October, November.

My listing is on a street that is in  TimeOut magazine 2022's list of the coolest streets in the world.  My listing is a two minute walk from this cool block

What should I do?  I cannot afford to charge less than my costs in both low season and high season.

I called airbnb and was advised to ask the guest if they would be willing to pay more. I asked to speak to someone on the Escalations Team.

This is Airbnb's mistake, and it should fix it. 

Will I be penalized if I cancel? 

I would like the Smart Pricing Team  to be transparent about their algorithm: what are the parameters they are setting?  What statistics are they using?   How can they know the max range and not set prices in high season for the max.

Who are they pricing for?  Are we really a community?

2 Replies 2
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Alison290 ,

Please note that I had to edit out your email address, and also move your post to Grow your business - board to highlight your concerns related to Smart Pricing and better visibility. Thanks for understanding!

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Alison290  Smart pricing has worked for many hosts, but it has also not worked for others.  IMO, smart pricing is not helpful.

You cannot turn smart pricing on and then ignore your calendar and the prices applied.  LOOK at your high/low seasons and ensure that you are advertised at a competitive price.  If not, select those dates and establish your desired price.  Smart pricing is not "magic".