State taxes and local taxes

Answered!
Anne12475
Level 1
Wichita Falls, TX

State taxes and local taxes

I have added local taxes but I am uncertain if AirBnB will continue to collect and remit state (Texas) taxes for me. If I use custom instead of default, do I need to include the 6% Texas state tax as well? There is no clear wording to determine.

1 Best Answer
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Anne12475 

If you haven’t seen this yet, here are all the places for which Airbnb collects taxes, with a link to the per-county or city Texas taxes:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2331

”Collect and remit” means to both collect and send to the associated jurisdiction.

Any taxes discussed on these pages are at least collected from the guest, and in most cases it’s pretty clear whether Airbnb or the host is responsible for remitting them.

On your very first booking, you will be able to see what is collected from the guest, and what is sent to the host, with a detailed breakdown of the rent, fees, and taxes. You will see from that whether the taxes being collected are being passed to you to remit. If the taxes are being collected from the guest, but not passed to you, then Airbnb is remitting them.

There has been some discussion in which it was believed that Airbnb wasn’t remitting the expected taxes. Whether that’s true or not, it’s always prudent at least once to check with the tax collectors in your jurisdiction to make sure they are getting the taxes you expect them to get.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Anne12475 

If you haven’t seen this yet, here are all the places for which Airbnb collects taxes, with a link to the per-county or city Texas taxes:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2331

”Collect and remit” means to both collect and send to the associated jurisdiction.

Any taxes discussed on these pages are at least collected from the guest, and in most cases it’s pretty clear whether Airbnb or the host is responsible for remitting them.

On your very first booking, you will be able to see what is collected from the guest, and what is sent to the host, with a detailed breakdown of the rent, fees, and taxes. You will see from that whether the taxes being collected are being passed to you to remit. If the taxes are being collected from the guest, but not passed to you, then Airbnb is remitting them.

There has been some discussion in which it was believed that Airbnb wasn’t remitting the expected taxes. Whether that’s true or not, it’s always prudent at least once to check with the tax collectors in your jurisdiction to make sure they are getting the taxes you expect them to get.

Vicki178
Level 2
Sayner, WI

Thanks for this. Located in WI. Recently approached by local township saying they haven't been getting taxes from airbnb. I thought airbnb remitting on my behalf but now see its just for state and county. Found where add tax is located, as you note. but am hesitant to do custom because I don't want state and county remittance under default disrupted. How did it work out for you? I have found statements on air to be incomplete and misleading

Agreed. This is a huge issue for many of our hosts who need to pay occupancy (etc) taxes in their area. Airbnb are you paying any attention ? Customer service reps have no answers.