Strategies To Increase Bookings In Lower Seasons

Scott1598
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Strategies To Increase Bookings In Lower Seasons

Hello and thank you for taking a look.

We have a small condo in the mountain town of Vail, Colorado.  For comparable listings in the area we have 50-60% occupancy from Dec to Apr and again in July but May, June, Sept, Oct, Nov drop in the 20-30% range of occupancy.  

We have a nicer, but smaller 2br/2bath but still price ourselves in the 50% percentile with our 3rd party pricing tool that does extremely well to adjust for seasonality where I have reasonable lower limits as to where it can go no lower as I would rather the property be vacant.  Over the high season we are over 90% occupied and our minimum night stay strategy draws mostly families and couples which are our target demographic.  Our goal is to have mid-term and longer-term stays where we offer length of stay discounts and we have always had successful winters for ski season.  We use the property for our family 2 months a year as well.

Now that we are entering May our calendar is almost completely empty.  I don't have a goal to have it booked 100% but would like to find ways to attract more guests in the off season.  The challenge is in May, for example, skiing is finished for the season and most of the trails used for summer activities (hiking, biking, etc) still have snow and are too wet and muddy (mud season) to naturally attract people.

I have the listing on Airbnb and another platform.  For a while I tried to also offer the place on FurnishedFinder and Zillow to attract people at a lower monthly rate who may need a place to stay for various reasons (there is a good hospital nearby for staff and those in need of sports-injuries) but had zero interest.

Wondering what others with low seasons have done to attract more views and bookings.

Thank you for sharing thoughts!

1 Reply 1
Scott1598
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

[edit]:  I should have mentioned that I don't currently reach out to previous guests as advised by so many articles online seem to encourage.  I wonder if that is seen in poor taste or not.  Do you all reach back out over the Airbnb platform weeks or months after a guest has left to let them know you would love to host them again and offer some sort of return discount in the low season?  I'm not sure how I would feel about that personally as a guest so interested in the concept of "maintaining the funnel" and maintaining relationships with past guests.

Welcome all other suggestions as I read what the experts say in their STR rental blogs that come up from my search on low season strategies.