Strategy: Get bookings during new host search bump or begin increasing prices?

Robert4797
Level 2
Reston, VA

Strategy: Get bookings during new host search bump or begin increasing prices?

Hi!  Within a few days of posting my listing, all but 2 days in the 1-30 day range were booked.  I raised my prices pretty quickly, and bookings stopped almost immediately. What isn't clear is if the inquiries trailed off because the lead time is longer or if it's because I overshot the runway with my pricing.

I have waited it out for a week, but it's still pretty quiet.  It's a sharp contrast with the first days of being on Airbnb.  Recognizing that most bookings happen within 30 days of the visit, I'm wondering about whether it's most advantageous to: a) Take advantage of the new host search bump to get days 31-60 filled up and to rank well with Airbnb in my first 30 days by offering discounted prices, or b) to start raising prices in an effort to maximize profits.  I guess I'm wondering if it's advantageous to try to get as many bookings as possible while I'm still benefiting from the search bump or if I can count on getting them after the bump goes away.  Further, will it help me for the long-term with Airbnb if I go ahead and get some more dates filled?

I'm also including my booking metric data and welcome feedback.  I recognize, of course, that I seem to be getting great visibility, and I have great 1-30 day bookings.   It seems to me, though, that the contact rate for 30-60 days is quite low, which is part of what makes me question if I've had it priced too low.

I lowered prices a bit tonight, btw.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.39.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.40.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.41.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.41.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.41.17 PM.png

2 Replies 2

@Robert4797  The "new listing" search bump is pretty short-lived. If your listing has been active for a whole week, it's possible that it has already expired (Airbnb is secretive about its formula). But soon you'll be receiving your first reviews/ratings, and assuming that they'll be good ones (your cabin looks great!) they will significantly increase the number of page views that convert into bookings. If there's a perfect moment to raise prices, it will probably be when your 3rd review is posted, as that is the time when your star ratings are displayed. 

Robert4797
Level 2
Reston, VA

Super helpful.  Thanks so much, @Anonymous !