Suggestions for our farmstay

Suggestions for our farmstay

Hello! we are starting a wedding venue at our farm. It will be a ceremony only in the woods. We will be building two "glamping" sites like the one pictured. They will be very pintrest-ish covered canvas tents on decks with a shaded porch, AC, etc. There will be primitive bathrooms just a few steps away. We are thinking about posting them here on airbnb for when there not in use with a wedding. I am curious what "sells" in the farmstead world. They will be placed at the end of our woods overlooking a large hay field. We have sheep and chickens and 145 acres to hike but no lake for swimming/fishing or creek/river for canoeing.

Is there anything we can do to the property to make it more desirable? Or maybe it is best to just leave as is and accept that we won't get as many visitors.

We are in Missouri, about 15 min from the closest town that has the Katy bike trail, parks, restaurants, etc. and 40 min from Columbia- a larger/college city. 

Thanks

!!!.jpg

11 Replies 11
Christine1081
Level 4
Humboldt, TN

I bought a camper glamorized it and cutified a private campsite. It stayed booked along with the other two airbnb's on my horse farm. Farm community anything! Is one of the top booking spaces. Build it and they will come.b

Christine Warrington
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Taylor286, yes, agreed. Build it and they will come! Especially if you've built it anyway! It definitely won't hurt to list it on Airbnb and you've got nothing to lose, so why not give it a try? Personally, I love it! I would stay there!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

OMG @Taylor286  this is so cute and different!  While I am not reacting as a business person, which is what you are asking, I am very much attracted to this picture.  Perhaps, you need to do some market research and you could ask for feedback from the wedding guests.  What will be difficult is to find comparable listings to be able to establish a nightly rate.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Taylor286 

Some of the best and most luxurious stays in the world are 'Glamping' situations.......

https://longitude131.com.au/video/

Listings featuring Airstreams, Yurts and other camping scenarios make up the most popular destinations here on Airbnb.

I think your idea is wonderful and if you set it up as you have depicted in that photo.....the guests will just beat a path to your door.

https://glampinghub.com/rentalsearch/?q=Australia%2C%20&checkin=&checkout=&adults=2&children=0&infan...

With so many listings now on STR platforms around the world, to attract attention you have to offer something just a bit different....something to make you stand out from the crowd.

And Taylor what you are proposing will do that admirably. I wish you every success!

Cheers......Rob

Thank you all so much for all the kind and encouraging words! This defiantly gives me hope!

The most important aspect is letting guests know what to expect.  Have a good honest description and good photos.  Describe the accommodation, the farm, the walks, the birds and animals, what they can and cannot access.  Include details of public transport to get there if there is any.

Kristin108
Level 10
Scotts Mills, OR

I wholeheartedly encourage you to create your vision...  

I have an Organic farm outside Portland, Oregon with a 'Guest House' an 'Airstream' and a Glamping unit called 'The Bali House'. I do not host weddings, but I do offer the property for retreats and events. 

https://airbnb.com/h/thebalihouse

https://airbnb.com/h/guesthouseatcrookedfingerfarms

https://airbnb.com/h/new-luxury-airstream

I have been operating the property successfully for over eight years, so I have a lot trials and errors under my belt!

Here are some things that come readily to mind:

Make sure you are operating as an 'Organic' farm. (Not necessary to be certified). 

Wedding venue insurance is extremely expensive!

So...hopefully, you have very good farm insurance that will allow you to have vacation rentals on the farm as well as events. (Most won't). 

The unit in the photo is very high end with the decor to match... Keep in mind that your initial investment will be significant!

Figuring that you have someone handy that can build you a platform deck, you are looking at around 3K just for the wood unless you have a mill. 

You will also want to invest in a really good mattress and luxury cotton bedding, etc. I offer my guests big fluffy towels, slippers and robes. 

I would strongly suggest you go with a King size bed if you can fit it in...

But be aware that the bedding/ mattress and canvas tent will mildew. You will need to be able to replace  it all on a regular basis. (And those white Ikea chair cushions will be trashed by the first guest). 

Also, if you are off grid, cleaning any kid of carpet to super host status is not doable without a generator. 

I don't know what your bathroom/water situation is, but as you mentioned, 'primitive' bathrooms... they aren't really 'glamping' and don't appeal to a lot of people. Unless your property is so amazing that people come because you have a waterfall in your backyard... 

Outdoor showers are cool and all, but unless you are in Hawaii or Bali, they really aren't all that fun!

I would consider adding a private hot tub or some kind of bathtub inside the unit.There are systems that don't require electricity. But again, all this is costly...

So in short, not to dissuade you, but what you are proposing would require at least a 30k a year return to make it profitable. 

You might want to consider starting out with tent sites instead...Bali House sleeping loftBali House sleeping loft

Also I agree Robin4 that you should look into Glamping Hub... Most of my bookings come from them.

And there is a new invitation only sight called Yonder: https://www.yonder.com/

That is looking good for us. 

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

Kristin

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Taylor286 & welcome to ABB Community Centre from Auckland, New Zealand where I see @Derek316  is also from who has commented.

Do you have any farm buildings that could also be utilised?

I see you mention Sheep and chickens so maybe there's buildings that were used for shearing the sheep in days gone by with great timber/ materials that may no longer be in use that you could incorporate into your plans and use as an asset to promote your listing.

Are the buildings on the property made by timber from the trees that were grown on the same land? 

Do you know the species of wood?

Or if the timber was milled on the farm, or locally?

Who milled the wood?

Are their descendants in the area?

They may have old photos to view or copy.

How old were the trees when they were milled?

Do you know the history of who previous owned or lived  on the farm?

They have stories to and it all adds to your wider story and how you could promote your listing.

Maybe look up your land title and those peoples names in your historic papers for more information, print them off and use to your advantage - those people may have potential contacts that may decide to visit your farmstay.

If you have a little old shed that's unused  turn it into a library or studio for your Guests and include some old farm / shearing/ chicken related tools / implements and photos on the walls.

Make it a fun place for those who may not have experienced country life before

When you mention a primitive bathroom, do you mean a Long Drop Toilet?

If so there's some great topics and information relating to them here in CC, use related keywords in the search box and they will pop up.

All the best

Central To All Home& Location 

Remuera, Auckland

New Zealand 

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

More and more of these smaller austere spots are popping up on AirBnB. I think they're awesome. A very cost effective space to create for some extra money and if you own a farm with lots of property you have lot to work with and could really build a way to make good money.

Celeste89
Level 3
San Miguel de Cozumel, Mexico

I personally would never go to the place that had a primitive toilet and no shower. I think you might consider a compost toilet to upgrade to something more desirable. And I agree with the person that suggested a hot tub, perhaps heated with solar, or at the very least a cowboy soaking tub. I have a vacation rental with a mineral well and a cowboy soaking tub at Aquarius Soak & Chill and Truth or Consequences New Mexico and it stays rented 70% of the time at good rates for the area.  By the way I was a wedding officiant for many years and my business was called Ceremonies in Nature because I officiated ceremonies in out-of-the-way locations. Not having a toilet or shower for the bride to use if you are expecting overnight guests might be very problematic. I would hate to see you build a great glamping yurt or tent but not be able to get it rented because of those issues. Best of luck to you!

Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

Hi.. cool ideas.. 

If it was mine .. I would add some natural pond for dipping or to swim in.. so the side is at 15 degree going down and filled wit water plan so it can only be enter from several designated path.. than a drop so there can be some depth at the pool.. to avoid the soil to spread around you can cover the side with mosh or zeloit mineral stone[TO4], (also found in water springs).. it should also help make the water clearer.. then put it a water filter... either use chlorine easier or not, but no lotion, put small balloon fish .. they are clean but strong.. and is fun.. it helps guest to be careful with .. chemical.. or other fish suggestion is beta fish..

different suggestion if a dipping pool to install a small water heater to help make the water warm at night.. and in stall an LED strips for lighting..

You also want to make an open shower out side share and separated from the tent.. use a shower that the water drop is vertical and straight from top to bottom, filled with plants that does not attract caterpillar...

you also want to plant anti mosquito plants around the tent.. helps to keep away the tiny draculla want to be animal.. it would not kill you, but it can be annoying as hell..

a bond fire place surrounded with bricks so it is safe and tidy.. to build fire and may be a bbq place, to cook you food, or marshmallow ..

an electronic storage compartment.. and money, and ID

I always wonder.. why glam camping has to be on the ground.. can't you make it on a tree.. like a tree house for adults.. since many people dream and make an un-secure three house when they are small.. make it cool and glamour three house.. so when you wake up.. there is a view from and elevated ground

flying fox??

underground room... like a bed room but goes down a bit like hobbit's house

separate toilet and shower..

a bamboo water flow of a sink and take out the knob from the modern world and make it a water flow so it create natural unit to brush your teeth or wash your face..

when I was small in my country there is a thing called "layar tancep" is a sheet of cloth being stick in the ground and use projectors to shoot out moving picture/ movies.. so people can watch it from a distance even on the roof.. is like . drive in cinema with cars.. it might be a good idea of not..

but you can only do so much.. you don't want it to loose the quite and privacy.. 

put in an ATV, or motor cross.. for transportation.. and trails to some near natural sights.. or separates them so it might recreate a small theme park..

any way good looks..

inspiring ideas.. 

gratitude..

Sincerely, -MANASUI-

Jeffrey Bong