TAX ID number - Croatia - not owner

Nikola85
Level 2
Zagreb, Croatia

TAX ID number - Croatia - not owner

Hello,

Please can someone help me because I am not getting any response from Airbnb.

To make a long story short: I help my mom, dad and sister with their listings, so 3 listings in total, and they are owners and all income goes to their bank accounts. They are co-hosts.

The thing is, I created and manage all the listings from my profile because they do not want to or can not do it.

My problem is:

1. Airbnb asks me to add a TAX number, but will not let me enter it for each listing/owner individually, only for one associated with my account. But that would not be correct, because I am not the owner of any of these listings, so why should my TAX number be on the invoices for all of the listings? Also, I am afraid that the tax authorities will come to the conclusion that I own 3 properties and maybe add all the income together?

And if I do not provide a TAX number, I saw in the invoice that Airbnb withholds 25% of the amount from me and I assume they forward it to Croatia? Because it does not make sense for me to pay it "twice".

2. I have seen that Airbnb shows the "OWNER" which is me in this case because I created the listings (their rule) and they do not provide an option to change the owner (my mum, dad and sis). They say they have to create a new listing and delete this, which is a very bad option because I have been a Superhost for 7 years and in this scenario we would lose all the reviews and the good work we have done.

3. If I make them the primary host (in order to add their TAX ID)  and list myself as a co-host, that would also result in the loss of reviews as Airbnb associates the reviews with the account/profile and not the listing, regardless of whether I am a co-host.

So basically, I want to do everything right, pay everything we need to (taxes and such...) and not lose all the hard work we have done over the last 7 years (excellent reviews and superhost status).

Can someone please help me with this, I am desperate, because to be honest, we are doing great job for everyone, and we want to pay everything we need, but they won't let us do it, haha.

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You should have originally had them set the listings up under their individual profiles and then had them added yourself as the cohost. @Nikola85 

As they are the owners of the properties and you are providing cohosting support.

then taxes could have been allocated appropriately and you would only have been responsible for paying tax on your cohosting fee.

I'm not sure how you can now resolve the situation.

Dear Helen, thank you for you answer.

I know that know, but it is a bit late for that 😕

At that time, there were no option for "owner" so I did not think about that. I just want to help my parents and make it simple, since they are old and they cannot do that.

Anyway, I need a solution now, and it does not seem to complicated from my point of view. 

They should enable to connect TAx number to listing and that is all.

And also, just enable option to choose the owner and that is all 😕

Booking has that option.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Nikola85  Because you set yourself up as the host, you will need to talk to an accountant to help you with your tax situation.  Yes, AirBnB will show the properties as belonging to you and all of the tax liability will be assigned to you.   They do not care that you do not own the properties.

A suggestion might be to create a business identity that has a tax number.  Submit that number to AirBnB.  Then the business identity can receive the income and disburse it to the proper persons after paying the taxes. 

Dear Lorna, thank you for your comment. However, that won't work for me because in that case I would have a sum earning from all listings, and it would mean that I would reach the limit that we have here in Croatia, regarding the certain tax level. Additionally, I am not owner of any of those listings, so I don't even want money to go to my bank account.

I know it seems that I am not accepting the reality or proposed solution but they just need to allow to choose the owner, and/or, connect VAT/TAX number to the listing. It is simple as that 😕 

And they do not have any of those options, too bad.