Taking over bookings from another listing (same property, change of listing owner)

Stephanie2741
Level 2
Durham, United Kingdom

Taking over bookings from another listing (same property, change of listing owner)

Hi, I am the owner of a property and have taken over management for the airbnb business from the agent we were using.

I have set up a whole new listing as I realise you can't move a listing over but the original agent's listing still has bookings until November. I obviously would like to move the bookings to my new listing.

I have read on these boards that a solution is to contact the confirmed guest, explain the situation and ask them to cancel their original booking and rebook on the new listing.  However, I have just contacted one guest who says she cannot cancel as she risks not being refunded but I can't cancel as I am not the owner of the original listing and I obviously do not want the agent's rating to be affected or for them to be penalised and be charged a fee for an account they are no longer taking bookings for.

Do I just have to sit it out until all bookings made with the agent are complete or is there a way of working around it? 

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Stephanie2741 

Listings are never transferable . Your STR management company did you a massive disservice by setting your listing up in their names . 

personally I think it's completely unacceptable to ask a guest to cancel risk cancellation charges and to rebook with a third party who to them has no track record . The guest is completely correct I wouldn't  cancel in their shoes either . 

Just set up your listing block out dates when you know the agent has existing bookings and focus on growing your STR business on your own listing. 

Hi Helen

Thanks for your reply.  I realise now that them setting up the original listing with their details was the worst thing to do.

At the moment I've done as you have suggested and my listing already has several bookings. I'm just waiting for the first review to be published - the guest received a message to say it would take 13 days to be public eventhough I had already left them a positive review.

My issue is that some of the agency bookings span into November/December. We took over the running, because we weren't happy with a few issues, mainly the depth of cleaning. I've only just been given access as a co-host now.

I was looking for an alternative to running the two listings side by side and the explanation of new host, cancel and rebook option was given a few times on these boards.

I'll just continue to run the two together, with the agency one delisted for no further bookings and then ask them to remove it when all bookings are fulfilled.  

Hello @Stephanie2741 

As you have already left a review for your guest, as soon as your guest leaves a review of your place then both will be public.  The 14 day waiting time is valid if only one party writes a review.

All the best

Joëlle

@Stephanie2741 The agent should 'snooze' their listing. That way current bookings can be honoured but it will not be visible to new guests. They can then delete their listing once there are no bookings left.