Tax questions.

Tim258
Level 2
Haslet, TX

Tax questions.

Hello Airbnb community center. As you may know, Fort Worth is not so friendly towards STRs. That's part of the reason why I chose to only list my Airbnb rooms as MTRs. But in doing this, I opened myself into unknown territory.  While searching for hours, I couldn't find anything online about MTR's in the community.

To add to the mix, my zip is in Haslet and I pay Fort Worth property taxes. 

What has me stumped is the Hotel Occupancy Tax.

Does this apply to my house since my current guests will stay a minimum of three months? 

Do my guests pay need to pay any special tax and if so, how much?

If there are special taxes, where do I collect and remit them?

And do I need to register my house as an STR, eventhough I don't advertise the rooms as even available for under 30 days? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

3 Replies 3
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Tim258 ! While we wait for other Hosts to chime in with their support for your question, I would also recommend reaching out to local Hosts through Local Host Clubs link.

You can explore existing clubs through the map and join a Local Host Club near your preferred location to ask questions to area-specific Hosts. I would also recommend reaching out to the Customer Support team to get better idea of the tax regulations.

Keep us posted if you managed to get some information in the meantime!🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Your local government website should have any STR regulations you can look through to see if you need to register .

your accountant  should be able to advise you about tax issues @Tim258 

and your local host group members might also be able to advise .

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Tim258  In many states having bookings that are longer than 30 days means that Hotel Occupancy Taxes are no longer collected.  Your accountant should be able to clarify this for you if you cannot find it in your State rental regulations.