Travel tax credit for leisure travellers in Ontario

Travel tax credit for leisure travellers in Ontario

Government just introduced tax credit for local leisure travellers in Ontario.Airbnb was not mentioned in a description of eligible settings.

5 Replies 5
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Sergei--and--Larina0 

From the Ontario government website, it specifically mentions STR's "or motel  hotel, etc".  Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20220102-212425_Firefox.jpg

M199
Level 10

@Sergei--and--Larina0 

Today's update! Remember your Airbnb must have a be registered and collect GST/HST.

Screenshot_20220103-154952_CTV News.jpg

Lisa6611
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Do you mean be registered by CRA for HST or with the city of Toronto's STR Department? @M199

M199
Level 10

@Lisa6611, @Sergei--and--Larina0 

I noted the GST/HST to minimize assumptions that all rentals would qualify.

GST/HST is CRA federal and it flows down to rhe Provincial level.  So, to give guests the Staycation Tax Credit, you would need to register. There is no link to Municipal jurisdictions.

That being said, in Ontario, you only need to register if you make more than $30,000.  However, you can register voluntarily if your sales are less.  There can be GST/HST benefits of collecting and remitting, even if your sales are less than $30,000.

Ultimately, it would be in your best interest to consult a tax accountant who can give you the legal advice.

Do not hold me to providing advice, my comments are for suggestion only.

Chantal713
Level 2
North Bay, Canada

I am so confused - apparently Airbnb qualifies but only if you have a registered GST number. Quote from Global News Article says "A spokesperson for the Ministry of Finance confirmed to Global News that Airbnb rentals can be included for the tax credit so long as the proprietor is registered for GST/HST and the accommodation fits all the other criteria stated." - this ties in to this whole GST fiasco starting in July which I do not understand fully.