UK Fire Safety Certification

Gary1264
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

UK Fire Safety Certification

is this UK Fire Safety Certification going to be a requirement to rent on AirBnB, if so from when?

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gary1264 I'mnot sure what you mean by certification (as there isn't any I know of) but the latest fire safety rules came in at the end of September 2023. Do you have a specific question/concern?

AirBnB sent the guideline, my question is if we have to have some sort of certification that our property meets the guidelines, in order to stay listed on AirbnB?

@Gary1264 I don't think you have to have any sort of certification to remain listed particularly as no such certification exists. I guess Airbnb could ask all UK  hosts to confirm that they have a fire risk assessment in place but they haven't, to my knowledge, asked for anything like this anywhere else in the world. At the end of the day they are 'just' an advertising platform and leave compliance with the law to individual hosts.

The only exception to the above is where the law requires Airbnb to provide information to HMRC (and other tax authorities) but this is a law directed at the platform not the hosts directly.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You need to complete a fire risk assessment @Gary1264 to comply with the new regulations and implement any improvements required such as fire safety doors, safety locks and hard wired alarms .