UK Regulator/Ombudsman

Tim2309
Level 2
United Kingdom

UK Regulator/Ombudsman

Hi,

Does anyone know who the ombudsman/regulator is for Airbnb in the UK?

I am having the most stressful time dealing with a refund issue, I’ve been on the phone to them for more than 10 hours now. They will only tell me their complaints procedure is talking to a supervisor who will call me back, they never do. I am on my 6th expected call back. 

When I ask for GDPR or regulator details they say they do not know them, I’ll need to talk to a supervisor...who of course won’t speak to me or call back. 

thanks. 

64 Replies 64
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Bad news, sorry. 

Out of interest, are we talking a tin-pot outfit of a bank here, @Tim2309?

Nationwide 

@Tim2309 I would launch a complaint against Nationwide as I am sure I have read that they have to deal with issues like this - Trouble is I can't remember where!

If you inform them you are taking them to the Ombudsman I suspect they will get their act together pretty quickly

Nationwide are adamant the money would have been immediately returned to Airbnb when it hit the inactive card. 

They can’t do anything to investigate as the account has been totally purged from their system, they can’t view it or interact with it. 

A week after the refund was issued I had an email from Airbnb saying I had requested a charge back, which I hadn’t. To me this seems like the money passing back into their system and triggering an automated email. 

@Tim2309  Airbnb doesn't send cheques.

Jennie204
Level 2
Heathcote, United Kingdom

As a host who's had guests breach every one of the airbnb guest expectations, having raised a case as soon as they checked out (last Monday) and chasing every day and getting the same waste of time call centre operators calling me for 'investigations' when they've had photographic and video evidence for a week and not reviewed is appalling. 

I would say don't use this company to book or host if this is common place which it seems to be.  Say they offer support but useless even when hand evidence to them on plate. 

Noise disturbance every night ..  I work full time,  nice they can sleep til mid afternoon,  I couldn't

Extra guest in my home whilst away

Also a child when my listing states no children

Not leaving kitchen and bathroom fit for use for next person (host) so extra cleaning required to use my own home

Late check out,  despite agreeing to this on booking and being reminded night before ... wouldn't have been out so early if I hadn't knocked them up and continued to chase either

Disgraceful attitude to honoring their requirements and not supporting the people hosting .. without whom they wouldn't have an income

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 EU jurisdiction applies if they are operating in Europe (as they are). I suspect that its small claims court or arbitration. Arbitration in the US sounds awkward and expensive at $200 (might be 150) so small claims court seems the best plan to me. I think its all online and Airbnb often don't seem to turn up so lose by default.

Hi all,

Thanks for your help so far. 

I’ve finally had a message (not a phone call) from a supervisor who really unhelpfully has just told me what I already know and suggested things I have already tried. 

I received and responded to this message 3 days ago, asking for details of the complaints procedure etc, no response. 

I’ve also had a message from someone in the payments department. Again, telling me what I already know and making basic suggestions that I have already tried 3 weeks ago. No response from them either. 

I’m looking at making a claim using the UK Governements Money Claim online. Has anyone had any success with this?

The only UK address I can find for Airbnb is their payments provider, which could actually be apt in this case?

Thanks for any advice. 

@Tim2309 

You can try here.. both Corporate and financial addresses:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/about/company-details

Dublin handles all UK transactions.

Thank you very much.  I've filled out a ODR, I just need an email address for Airbnb, I can only find dpo@airbnb.com

Does anyone have an email address for complaints or resolutions? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried calling their London HQ and asking? @Tim2309 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried calling their London HQ and asking? Tim

Do you have a number for them?  I've just spent another hour and twenty minutes talking to various case managers trying to get it:  

The first gave me a bogus email address

The second gave me a link to their feedback form

The third told me there is no email address for airbnb and couldn't give me any information on their complaints procedure.

I have just submitted a case to the ODR and has to use dpo@airbnb.com and explain I have tried at length to find a more suitable address.

@Tim2309 

You might try legal.payments@airbnb.com

I found this on this post: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Very-slow-payouts/m-p/1148466/highlight/true#M278307

There might be other information and links on there you would find useful if you have a read through..

Jennie204
Level 2
Heathcote, United Kingdom

Please let me know if you had any success escalating as I'm certainly keen to do so