UK Regulator/Ombudsman

Tim2309
Level 2
United Kingdom

UK Regulator/Ombudsman

Hi,

Does anyone know who the ombudsman/regulator is for Airbnb in the UK?

I am having the most stressful time dealing with a refund issue, I’ve been on the phone to them for more than 10 hours now. They will only tell me their complaints procedure is talking to a supervisor who will call me back, they never do. I am on my 6th expected call back. 

When I ask for GDPR or regulator details they say they do not know them, I’ll need to talk to a supervisor...who of course won’t speak to me or call back. 

thanks. 

64 Replies 64

they are such a coward when I am asking their uk registered address they are not providing. Does anyone has their uk address to send the claim?

Kassi45
Level 2
Salisbury, United Kingdom

Hi @Tim2309 , I have just come across this thread and I’m having a very similar issue. I wondered if your refund was paid and how long it took? Your help would be much appreciated! It feels like I’m banging my head against a brick wall at the moment!

Hi @Kassi45 ,

My refund was eventually paid.  It took about 6 months and a lot of stress.  I had to get my bank involved to write about 4 letters, all of which Airbnb disputed.

It took about 20 hours on the phone to various people who would not help and kept repeating the same thing.  I had emails from someone in their payment processing team who was equally unhelpful.  Then one day, for no apparent reason they refunded it.

Basically it was Airbnb's fault but they wouldn't admit it.  They magically found the issue and gave the refund, when asked for an explanation as to what took so long and why it was such an ordeal, they couldn't or wouldn't give an answer.

Good luck, but if it's anything like the issue I had you're in for a fight I'm afraid.

Kassi45
Level 2
Salisbury, United Kingdom

Hi @Tim2309 

Thank you very much for replying. Not quite the response I had hoped for but some helpful points!

I do think it is despicable that they can get away with this and not be regulated by anyone. Their complaints procedure is shocking/non-existent! 

It’s abysmal. I asked for my GDPR info and they gave me a bogus email address to request it from. 

I was also given a bogus complaints email address when I wanted to make a formal complaint. 

It was like pulling teeth trying to get any sense or information from anyone. My advice would be to contact your bank if you haven’t already. I was lucky and had someone really helpful, not that Airbnb listened to them either. 

Even trying to reply to this conversation gives me an error and I have to keep re-posting. 

Hi can anyone help. I am having a similar problem to @Tim2309  - I have been trying to get a refund since August 21 but no joy,  I made a booking back in May and had to cancel within an hour or two of initial booking . I Clicked cancel booking and got a message saying the host hadn't accepted the reservation  and the authorisation  will be removed, I won't be charged ( I thought I had done my job)  . I also messaged the host to confirm cancellation and  they acknowledged it. I thought that was it sorted,  But found out months later when doing business accounts the money,   almost £3500. was actually taken form our account  . The day I didnt turn up at the door  the host should have contacted me but didnt but instead chose to  take the money  . Air b n B are saying the host will not return the money  and Air B n b will not take any responsibility. I can't get anyone senior to address this, I keep getting standard responses when they do eventually get back to me. My only means of communication is through a text messages on their app, which I dont look at unless I need to.  Does any one know how I might be able to get a satisfactory resolution ? I can't put this through the resolution centre and any link they give me to make a formal complaint doesn't allow me to make a formal complaint.  I just can't afford to lose that amount of money . is there any one in this forum that can help please? 

Ahmed455
Level 1
Bologna, Italy

I recently had the worst experience with Airbnb. I booked a place in Bristol but the place is far different from the one shown on the listing on Airbnb. I contacted the host and she refused to provide me with any compensation. I complained to Airbnb and they asked me for evidence. I provided them with all the actual pictures of the room. Initially, they told me that they will give me a partial refund. However, later on, they refused to pay me any refund, even though they could not deny the evidence I provided them. They could not provide any single reason for the refusal. Airbnb only protects the host and not the guests. If a guest faces any issue, then he is pretty much on his own and should not expect any help or relief from Airbnb. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Ahmed455  hello from a host in Bristol - sorry to hear of your experience - in what way was the room not as described? Difficult to comment based on the information you have posted,o have  particularly as you don't seem to have left a review for the host in Bristol. .....Did you leave immediately and find somewhere else? Or did you stay? What sort of compensation were you looking for?

I would say that both hosts and guests feel Airbnb doesn't help them when something goes wrong. Airbnb certainly does not protect the host from the many complaints you see here of guests who trash a place/party and then deliberately leave revenge reviews for hosts who call them out on their behaviour/Airbnb refuses to pay out for the damage.

Helen, the room was totally different from the pictures shown. The room shown in the pictures was quite big, with bigger windows and a big king size bed. However, when I reached the place, the room was quite tiny, the bed was a single bed and it was a very basic room with nothing except a bed inside it. Later I realized that the host posted random pictures taken from a google search on the listing instead of original room pictures. Unfortunately, I made a booking for a month as I joined UWE here and I wanted to stay comfortably for a month so that I can look for some alternate arrangements during this period. Airbnb only advised me to vacate the place if I wanted a refund that was even the worst alternate as Airbnb was definitely not going to make any alternate arrangements for me and the refund would also take probably months to process. Hence, that was not a viable option for me either. 

I asked the host first and Airbnb as well, that I did not get for what I paid. Therefore, I should be provided with some compensation. The host refused right away and asked me to directly complaint to Airbnb because she was sure that Airbnb is not going to help me. Airbnb asked to provide pictures of the original room and told me that they will provide a partial refund. However, later on, they refused to pay any refund to me. 

Reviews here are even not reliable as they are sent to host for the approval. If there is a negative review, the host is anyway not going to approve that. Therefore, the credibility of the reviews is highly questionable. 

@Ahmed455  Reviews are not sent to hosts for approval. I don't know where you got such a false idea. 

Reviews are blind. The host cannot see the review the guest wrote or vice versa until both reviews are published, or if only one party left a review, it is published 14 days after check-out. No one can write a review after 14 days.

Maria15936
Level 2
Dartford, United Kingdom

Absolutely! I have had a similar experience by email, they do not seem willing to understand the place I stayed in was not fit for purpose, very dirty and did not fit the description on airbnb. I stayed 1 night as I had no choice but complained the next day and moved out. I registered a complaint and submitted phots but they will not issue a refund. They say there is no ombudsmen but I don't want to let this drop

I recognize the unwillingness of Airbnb. Is it already solved in your case? 

Elly2571
Level 2
Torquay, United Kingdom

I’m have trouble receiving a refund too!  I felt so unsafe in my accommodation I didn’t stay and handed the keys back on the same day, liaising via Airbnb.  I received no further support from Airbnb. There safety team didn’t contact me, I was passed to 7 different people who could barely speak English, and didn’t have any record of conversations I had. Late at night I had to find my own alternative accommodation. I tried the Resolution contact and unsurprising, the hosts have not got back to me.  Airbnb have not followed this up and their App is  rubbish and basic, almost designed to put you off! I will try every avenue to get my refund. After I do, I will never ever use or recommend Airbnb again!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear this @Elly2571 

@it's not clear from your post what was the safety issue with the property ?

i would suggest you follow up with Airbnb on their social media channels.