UK Regulator/Ombudsman

Tim2309
Level 2
United Kingdom

UK Regulator/Ombudsman

Hi,

Does anyone know who the ombudsman/regulator is for Airbnb in the UK?

I am having the most stressful time dealing with a refund issue, I’ve been on the phone to them for more than 10 hours now. They will only tell me their complaints procedure is talking to a supervisor who will call me back, they never do. I am on my 6th expected call back. 

When I ask for GDPR or regulator details they say they do not know them, I’ll need to talk to a supervisor...who of course won’t speak to me or call back. 

thanks. 

64 Replies 64

Hi Elly

im just wondering how this got resolved as I am having the same issue with Airbnb saying that to refund is the host is discretion, which obviously they say no to, despite me booking Thursday 11.30pm and realising I hadn’t read past the initial 5 reviews, upon recieving the address once I’d booked, only to find it was on a dodgy Council estate and had numerous reviews saying it was unsafe and they had safety concerns with the place. When I immediately called Airbnb 8am Friday they first said I could transfer the funds which they still held, then they said they’d need to contact the host to ask him and then that it was upto the host. For my criticism of the place in feeling unsafe; then they’ve more recently said they don’t assess the negative reviews, despite several citing safety, front door off hinges, drug takers outside; people trying to get in and generally as a woman feeling very unsafe and vulnerable and zero protection of their belongings or persons at this house. I booked elsewhere but the host has refused any refund and multiple people keep coming of the Airbnb support blue to message me from various countries the same thing, that it’s the hosts discretion for refund. However in any other hospitality, if the customer complained their hotel room was unsatisfactory, smelt of fags, or their meal had hair in it, you wouldn’t be expected to speak to the chef; they would give a full refund. I am shocked Airbnb do this. What did you manage to do?

Many thanks,

Sophia 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Sophia595 

You are correct it's really important to check out locations and all reviews before you make a booking to ensure it's a good fit. 

many council estates are perfectly safe and many have onsite security /caretakers which makes them safer then many private blocks. 

the host is perfectly entitled to uphold the cancellation policy you booked under . 

you could ask them nicely if they would consider refunding if they get a replacement booking .

there is no ombudsman for short term rental companies and if even there were I doubt they would uphold your claim as the cancellation policy is clearly shown when you go to book. 

I have cancelled my booking within 24 hours of making it. The property looked suitable. But later when reading many many more reviews it was clear it was unsafe, I was going on a trip with my 8 year old son. The property has loose wiring and smells rancid. There are numerous reviews backing this up and stating that it should not be let and that air bnb should inspect and remove from listings. 

I am still taking the trip through air bnb for the same dates at a safer more expensive property. 

Air bnb refuse to refund me. Stating it was a non refundable location.

I dispute this they should not be selling unfit products. Safety is always the law. 

I have been on the European link listed on the beginning of this thread but we are no uk are no longer listed due to not being in the EU. 

I am absolutely not going to let this go and have already looked for solicitors and have a suitable one in mind. But this will come at great great cost, I'm a single mum. But stubborn. 

Can anyone highlight a solution to me?

Hi Jessica,

im just wondering how this got resolved as I am having the same issue with Airbnb saying that to refund is the host is discretion, which obviously they say no to, despite me booking Thursday 11.30pm and realising I hadn’t read past the initial 5 reviews, upon recieving the address once I’d booked, only to find it was on a dodgy Council estate and had numerous reviews saying it was unsafe and they had safety concerns with the place. When I immediately called Airbnb 8am Friday they first said I could transfer the funds which they still held, then they said they’d need to contact the host to ask him and then that it was upto the host. For my criticism of the place in feeling unsafe; then they’ve more recently said they don’t assess the negative reviews, despite several citing safety, front door off hinges, drug takers outside; people trying to get in and generally as a woman feeling very unsafe and vulnerable and zero protection of their belongings or persons at this house. I booked elsewhere but the host has refused any refund and multiple people keep coming of the Airbnb support blue to message me from various countries the same thing, that it’s the hosts discretion for refund. However in any other hospitality, if the customer complained their hotel room was unsatisfactory, smelt of fags, or their meal had hair in it, you wouldn’t be expected to speak to the chef; they would give a full refund. I am shocked Airbnb do this. What did you manage to do?

Many thanks,

Sophia 

Hello. Slightly different problem. Please can anyone advise me How I can make a formal complaint. I have been charged by Airbnb for a blocked toilet, despite providing proof it was not me. I have had numerous conversations and emails/ messages with Airbnb but have been told they have reviewed this and so took hundreds from my account?! Even though I was informed by Airbnb that they cannot do this. I logged the terrible service that I received and they acknowledged their fault (thanking me for bringing it to their attention)  but said the case is closed!! Am so frustrated, I want someone to properly look at the case and realise I shouldn’t be charged hundreds of pounds for a blocked toilet that was not my fault!! Help!! 

I am facing a similar problem, have you managed to sort this out?

They tell me that its only possible to give feedback, which is not a complaint and you wint get a reaction. Really sucks. Do you already have the answer? 

I am going through the same thing and fully intend to take out a lawsuit against them and the host ! Probably a class action lawsuit if any one is interested in being a part of this lawsuit . Airbnb does not care for the safety , protection or comfort of their guest !  

I had to leave the Airbnb after a week because we were not comfortable or safe . Airbnb does not want to cover our bill for relocation! Even after the host turned the heat down so low and wouldn’t allow us to adjust it (because he was controlling it from elsewhere) , the host showed us what to do if we were cold and when we did it he told us that he wouldn’t make his bills high just because we are cold! Then after we complained of the cold , even bought blankets , he decided to start nitpicking and making up lies , saying we were walking too loud in the hallway or coming in late , and how we were slamming doors . We were so surprised! He told us we left a big box of rubbish in the bin which was surprising! I later went and sorted the garbage before leaving AND AIRBNB STILL ALLOWED HIM TO MAKE A CLAIM AS FOOLISH AS “excessive garbage” ! I even took videos and pictures while sorting the garbage and they still allowed it . He claimed I damaged a door sensor that wasn’t even working before , I have vlog video clips of the Airbnb with stains on the walls from the day we arrived , yet the host claimed we damaged the walls the day we were leaving out of spite! Whole time he was acting out of spite because we had to cancel the last week of our stay which I even explained to him (THIS WAS 2 WHOLE WEEKS BEFORE OUR TRIP) that we were gonna make some changes to the trip and go see some family all over London, immediately his whole vibe changed , he was annoyed , and I was apologetic! I had no idea he would ruin our trip . Finally when we complained about the heat he acted aggressively and scared us saying HE WAS GETTING ANGRY!!We had to evacuate immediately! I have so much to tell but it will all be known in time , I’m very sorry that so many people are facing this very challenge ! I will never book with Airbnb again .

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Dejae1 ,

So sorry to hear about your experience during a family trip! Were you able to inform Airbnb Support about the Host? 

I hope you are doing safe and have found a place for the later days!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hanna2187
Level 1
Oxford, United Kingdom

I would love to know about an ombudsman.  Airbnb just cancelled my reservation 10 days into a 30 rental, with no warning, and only the offer of a 1 night hotel stay.  They offered ‘assistance’ TWO DAYS LATER finding a substandard apartment outsude the city that wasn’t available for the whole period.
They refunded the balance after a week (I guess I was just supposed to be able to afford another £2000 while I waited?!) but did not refund the set once fee, which I find insane.  They cancelled it due to a policy violation by the host, nothing to do with me, so why am I penalized??!!

@Hanna2187 A dreadful experience for you but it could have been worse. If Airbnb took this action against the host then there could have been a danger to you. At least this was mitigated by its actions.

Totally agree the one-off fees should come back as well. Your only recourse is the small claims court I am afraid. I am guessing you would win and get the one off fees back. I assume you did get the Airbnb service feedback pro-rate? If not then a definite small claims court is needed.

Hi all,

just found this thread and my partner and I are having a nightmare trying to get a refund from Airbnb and want to know what our options for escalation are. Can anyone help?

On the day we checked in we smelt gas coming from the kitchen, and we’re unable to get hold of the host. The smell got extremely strong throughout the evening and so we called the Airbnb safety team around 10:30pm as we were worried about going to sleep. We were told to evacuate the property immediately, which we did. 

This left us stranded in the dark, as two young women, on the side of a very remote road in the French countryside. There were no transport options and Airbnbs suggestions for alternative accommodation were over an hour away from where we were staying. Fortunately, we were able to be picked up by an acquaintance that was in the area for the same wedding as us, and had to stay with others in another Airbnb, which we also had to pay for.

Airbnb have stated that after a thorough review of their policies they are only able to offer a partial refund. We are trying to dispute this as we cannot understand how we would not be entitled to a full refund given the extremely dangerous situation we were put in and the fact Airbnb advised us to leave the property on the first night. We are also seeking compensation for the additional cost of alternative accommodation and items left behind in the original property. 

Is this something that is likely to be successful at small claims? It was quite a traumatic event and it appears Airbnb have no concern for their customers safety. Any advice would be appreciated! 

Bex15
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

having this very problem rightnow. I have never had such bad service, even from Ryan Air. I am cancelling my account as soon as I have 'resolved' this. Awful, awful company. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There's no regulator for the UK for short term rentals but you can look at a claim in the small claims court if you can demonstrate Airbnb have acted against its T&C .

hard to comment as you haven't said what issue you have faced as a guest @Bex15 

Bex15
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Helen - its the service form AirBnB and AirBnB itself. Shockingly poor, they are basically proving themseves to be liars with endless promises of callbacks and ignoring my emails. My accom was cancelled within 48 hours before check in, meaning I had to pay another £237 to rebook, part of which was £67 AirBnB fee. And they've told me they're charging the host a penalty. I am at least seeking that fee back, and I'd like then to refund at least the charge they are putting on the host. Anyway, nice to know they're making money whilst I am forking out money I can't afford. 

2 weeks this has been going on!!